Leg extension help.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had two tkr within 6 weeks. First leg is having a hard time getting full extension. Any suggestions? I do all PT with PT and at home. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Jen, I seem to be an oddity as I had no problem gettin a 0 degree extension. In all honesty, I didn't even know that was something I needed to work on. I had both knees replaced in the same surgery. When I came home from the hospital and went to sit on my sofa, it felt a little too low for me to comfortable get up or down. So, I went to my bed. I was living in India and we only had A/C units in our bedrooms, so it was a cooler room for hanging out in. I would sit with my back against the headboard and my legs out in front of me. I'm guessing this helped a lot, so if you can get in a position that keeps your legs elevated straight out, do it - a Lazy Boy chair might seem good, but it's not as straight. An exercise my PT had me do was also very simple. While having my legs extended on the bed, he put his fist under my knee and I would press it down, onto his fist. And at the same time, flex my foot (so my toes weren't pointed but drawn towards my body) and lift my foot up off the bed. When he wasn't there for the exercises, I had a hedgehog plush that I'd substitute for the fist - a rolled towel would even work. I had considerable discomfort in the back of my knees and this seemed to bring comfort. If I felt I'd sat straight too long (my real concern was getting that good bend), I'd alternate and draw my knees up, holding just when it became uncomfortable. After 10 seconds, I'd try to bend it a smidgen more for another 10 seconds. And then one more adjustment for another 10. Then I would bring them down to just a slight bend and remain like that for a little while. I still find both of these as favorite positions. Good luck.

Mo

• Posted

Hi Jen, When sitting put leg out as straight as you can comfortably then gently push knee down onto sofa straightening leg as you do. Hold for count of 5 building up to 20 and repeatĀ as you can whilst sitting. I found this really helped. Best wishes x
  • Posted

Have you tried a leg extension machine? Local gym?  That's what I used for both compression and extension when I had dual TKR.

• Posted

There are several ways of getting that stretch. I like to stack pillows so that the bottom part of my leg is resting on the pillow ( from just below the knee ) and sit on my butt with the leg extended out in front of me. The further down you put the pillow (towards the ancel) the more of a stretch you will get. So I would recommend starting off easy. With the pillows up close to the knee. And for just a few moments. As this stretch I have found will kind of sneak up on you. And before you know it. It could hurt.

Another way is to place the heel of the foot of the affected leg on top of the toe of the other foot and let gravity so the rest.

• Posted

jen where are u based please? I need to see a dr who will help me re the meniscal tear..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.