Leg feeling like a concrete block, anyone else get this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 12 weeks TKR and although I have a burning pain on the inside of my knee which is quite sore, my leg gets really heavy and I feel I'm dragging a concert block when I move my knee.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Margaret , I too get this and am now 13 weeks. I made a cake yesterday and after standing in the kitchen for a while I had to sit down and ice but it didn't make much difference to the heavy feeling! Then for the last two nights I've had horrendous spasms in my thigh and outside of knee. Having to take stronger pain killers. I have just read somewhere that magnesium is supposed to help so am off to the health food shop tomorrow. All part of the course I think! 😊
    • Posted

Four weeks after op and I'm getting those terrible thigh spasms . . also, even the weight of the sheet on the skin hurts.  I'm also going to try magnesium, and ask the doc about vitamin B12 which is supposed to be good for nerve damage . . the pain is much worse than the knee ever was, and leaves the whole thigh feeling heavy and useless . . . 
    • Posted

Ye,s four weeks post op and Im finding this too . . especially in the thigh area.  It seems worse after exercising . . . you can;t seem to win can you!

• Posted

Hey Margaret - I too am 12 weeks post op.  Just this week I have developed a painful, swollen area just left of the knee cap.  I have massaged but it doesn't give relief.  Haven't iced - maybe should do that.  I also get sudden pains across the knee cap - they happen suddenly and go away quickly.  As for the heavy feeling - that just hasn't left me since surgery.  
  • Posted

Hi Margaret, I Get this especially towards them end of the working day, I assume its swelling and water retention. Icing is the best thing I find.
  • Posted

Hi Margaret I know this sounds odd but I'm so glad you wrote this up. I'm 12 weeks too and have the same thing. It feels like someone is pushing my legs backwards as I am struggling to walk forwards. My job is standing up all day.

too encourage us this seems like another phase we go through as lots of people have the same thing.

the pain in the knee might be worth getting checked out though

hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I am going into 12 weeks TKR it feels like a concert block in my leg. The home PT had me doing to many reps. and I pull a muscle in my hip and thigh. after 2 weeks. Never had any PT for my kneecap. Something must not be lined up in the knee.  Have been walking in the pool it has helped some but not much. 
  • Posted

Good Evening Margaret 

Had knee Surgery on Friday July 13/2018

See the Surgeon on July 31/18.

My knee feels like a concrete ball is going through it. Had it cut down the middle 5 inches or 7 centemetores. It feels so hard

On the right knee  & than frozen on the bottom of the knee. Yes it is painful.

Will definitely try some different healing

Techniques through the health food store.

Will have a large scar as well.  

Margaret how is your knee doing?

Are you still in pain is the concrete ball

Feeling still there.

Appreciate you sharing your story with me.

Wishing you the best of health now.

Sincerely 

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.