Leg feels externally rotated with sore nerve running throughout to toes.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any even vaguely similar symptoms to mine. ...which have actually been evolving over 3 years.

Currently I have a right leg which feels like it would be happier to rotate externally. It feels sort of twisted inside. My inner calf nearest the the ankle feels pulling and strained as does the sole of my foot particularly behind my first and second toe back to my heel. My leg feels sore, particularly the back of it when sitting on it. Worst is my foot which is weak. There is a lack of definition in my plantar muscles. It is hard to use my foot properly. I now have much less pain in my lower sacrum back than I have had for a long time. Sometimes I have stinging sort of pain in my right groin area. I don't now walk for more than 20 minutes. Standing for a long time is worse.

This is where it has evolved from:-

• 20+ years I have been troubled with the sacrum pain, which was gnawing, sharp and affected my bladder, making me feel I needed to go when I didn't. There were long periods of time when I didn't have it. Walking long distances always helped.
  • Had a kidney removed by keyhole incision 5 yrs ago. The scar is on my tummy next to the right hip crest.
  • Injured my foot at midfoot 3 years ago. Thought I got better. Did some long distance walking. 3 months later began with pain at the base of my second and 3rd toes. Got an arthritis diagnosis in my foot...midfoot, not the toes.
  • When my foot pain, which began to feel either weak or painful developed, I was sent for an MRI on my back which showed some central disc protrusions at L4/5, L5/S1 but a chemical reaction only was suggested. At this time I had alternating weakness in my outer foot with the low back pain, then soreness in my inner foot on the other days minus the back pain.
  • Continued on myself. Spent years trying to do physical therapy for foot or back and since spring 2019 I have done daily bridge exercises with leg extensions and more!
  • I have tried to stay sane and exercised by cycling a bit...my foot will suffer if I do too much, or I swim but it usually makes my leg weakness worse, mainly the foot. I do Aqua Aerobics and that could make me worse too...but I have to do something!

At a recent physio assessment it was suggested to me that the problem was the low part of the sacrum. This would make sense to me. I'd previously assumed or been told I was dealing with referred pain from higher up.

I think my leg has been or has felt externally twisted, functionally shorter and squashed downwards within that twist. I was overpronating with the other foot and supinating with the painful foot. I am now less squashed but the soreness and pulling in my leg and foot is still there.

I am actually at the end of my tether. I really don't know the cause and the GP has been dismissive really. I don't go that often because I think they don't want to listen...and unless your ailment fits into a box they understand and can name they prefer to not deal with you. They are excellent at sending lots of well people for every diagnostic test under the sun but if you are undiagnosable you are discarded...or is this just my perception and experience?

Sorry I wrote a lot. I'm hoping someone may, at least, skip read and be able to help with some experienced advice.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You need to see a sports orthopedic surgeon for imaging. This will find out if anything is structurally wrong and fixable. Next would be the ortho's exam. With every twist, turn, pull and push, the doc rules out a specific part of the knee (meniscus, ACL, etc.) that could be causing the pain. This allows the doc to focus in on the actual problem. That should lead to a treatment plan (injections, brace, surgery, etc.).

You need a diagnosis before anything else. No speculation. See an ortho.

• Posted

Thanks Chico,

I actually don't think it is my knee really. The whole leg is affected. I think it comes from the top of leg- lower back and hip. I saw consultant about my back and got the imaging as described. I could try to get my hip seen but I very much doubt our NHS would fund that. My hip actually moves and rotates when manually handled by the GP. This leads me to conclude it is my back as I understand the back affects the hip. Also my foot with it's arthritis at midfoot helps nothing and has probably contributed to a bad walking pattern. I despair of our NHS really. I could pay privately now for another MRI but it will be costly. Are you in the US?

• Posted

I have similar issues with foot and calf and numbness has developed around underside of foot along with around the ankle. Calf it's also sore and I can't work put as hard asprior to spinal fusion surgery at L4-5. you need to get an MRI to determine whether it's related to any compression in your limbar spine. It's sounding like root nerve compression at one of the levels somewhere between L4 -L5-S1-S2

• Posted

Thank you Maggie, thank you Chico...and Happy New Year (I can wish it for others even though I don't feel it for myself!),

I t makes me feel a little less alone to share and connect.My last MRI on my back was 22months ago..so not yet 2 years.

To paraphrase the findings:

• Broad based disc protrusion at L4/5 especially over right location with annular nerve fissure abutting L4 nerve root - possible chemical reaction going on.
    • Tiny focal protrusion abutting against S1 nerve root, could be causing irritation.
    • Rest of spinal canal appears normal as does conus, no intraspinal mass legion.

When I did eventually get to see a consultant he sort of brushed me off, said this was impingement and he couldn't operate on that...." But 3 years?" I said. He just replied yes...and at their request I got 5 physio sessions where I began my bridge exercises and continue to this day with more added Pilates.

I fear (and that is an understatement in itself) that I may have permanent motor nerve damage in my foot/ leg back because it has gone on so long.I feel as though I have a disabling muscle imbalance. To put it in a simplified form (ha ha....nothing about me feels simple!) I have a weak outer foot which can be felt as a pain in lower sacrum, same side and an arthritic inner foot which is trying to hold up the weak bit. I am not sure what came first - the injured arthritic foot ( although the joints are more problematically stiff than over painful) or the weakness on the other side which certainly stems from my back.....or whether the arthritis has very little to do with it.

Over a year ago I had the cortisone into L4/5 nerve root. Didn't make a lot of difference.

Not sure which way to go forward....if requesting another MRI would be appropriate as they would think it too soon. If I have nerve damage maybe nothing could be done. I'm sure my fear doesn't help but this issue has felt like a black hole for some time. Thanks for "listening".

• Posted

back problems sure make for pain in your legs, there are some amazing new surgeries, go get one

• Posted

The problem is, Jimkim, even if this were or is the most appropriate thing to do, in the UK most people are, sadly dependent upon the National Health Service which has a very struggling budget. Orthopaedics seems to suffer worse than most areas. Unless you have paralysed legs or bladder or have a herniated disc which has not responded to any treatment and for which intense pain is unrelenting...you will not get very much intervention. Standard intervention is 5 sessions of physiotherapy at 20 minutes each or a cortisone injection, addictive medication or if you are very lucky a pain management course after about a 6 month wait.

Now if you have cancer, for example, or something for which lots of research is ongoing and being funded, you will be seen and dealt with fairly quickly.

A few richer people here have a medical insurance which they use to get the appropriate treatment. Some rich firms pay for a medical insurance for their employees. I wish I had one. Even then though there are, I assume, restrictions which apply. I think this is a source of my fear, maybe others in this country feel the same...even cancer patients are having to wait longer to be seen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.