Leg infection (cellulitis?)

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am being treated for a leg infection. My GP has given me Klaricid (clarithromycin) 250mg tablets. I have taken 8 tablets and there has been no improvement in my condition. My leg does not hurt but there is a burning, itching sensation and it is swollen and red. In February I was diagnosed with gout and the infection has followed soon after the gout was cured....at first I thought I was experiencing an allergic reaction to the gout medication.

I have had cellulitis before and was hospitalised. On that occasion the redness extended up to the knee and I could not weight-bear because of the pain. This time the leg does not hurt except the ankle is very stiff but this burning, itching sensation is awful and is stopping me from sleeping.

Anyone had a similar experience where an infection is a burning itching sensation and how long before it was cured? I am allergic to penicillin by the way.

Thanks, Sheila

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If your current medication regimen has not helped after 8 doses, I would call your physician. You either need to change medications, need an additional antibiotic and/or need to stay off of your feet for a time. My infection occurred back in March and it is still not completely resolved....the symptoms. The swelling and pain continue as I am an RN and am on my feet for 14 hrs, three days a week. I am going part-time at the end of May and switching back to night shift. The day shift is just too much for me at 55 yrs of age. I'm in good health, don't smoke and have a healthy weight but the stress on my feet and legs are just too much. does your job require demands on your feet and legs that are too much for you at this time? Maybe it's time for a change?! I am welcoming it for I am far too stressed.

Hope all turns out well for you; get help before it's too late. I have patients who have ended up losing a leg...and it all started with cellulitis.

Take care!

• Posted

I had cellulitis 2 times in 6 months.was kept in hospital for 2 days infection level was very high was given iv for 12 hrs.one thing which has changed in medication is that last time I was given 4 types of tablets and it took well few weeks when I saw a change in the infection. But this time just given one tablet Co amoxiclav and it has worked so fast just in one day I can feel a huge difference. .The staff and care at Northwick park hospital was best.

wish you Good Luck and get well soon..

• Posted

I am also allergic to penicillin I have had a rash on my leg for over 6 months,I have had different antibiotics and even been put on a drip but still got it,running out of ideas.
  • Posted

Hi Sheil,

i just made my first post ealier tonight,about the burning sensation,it,s driving me mad,all the swelling went and redness went apart from a patch on my right leg,which the GP said the infection had burst my blood vessels.Did the burning spread on you ?  The pain when on standing has now gone and i have no swelling.

Hope you can help with this,would really appreciate it ,and to see how long the burning can last for, is there anything else i can do ? I have been on Fluccloxacillin for 10 days and woundering if this will actually get rid of this symton.

Thanks Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.