Leg length discrepancy

Posted , 7 users are following.

i had a TKR 3 weeks ago and the day after surgery they came into my room to start my PT with a walker. As soon as I hit the floor I noticed that my operated leg was longer than the other. I mentioned it to the therapist and they didn't seem concerned. Well to cut to the chase, I am 64 and have always been knock-kneed, and my

doctor decided to straighten my leg during the operation. So now my operated leg is over 1/2" to 3/8" longer than the other. my doctor never discussed That he was going to straighten my leg and now have to deal with rehab and the reality of 2 legs  that are different lengths. My hips hurt, my spine aches, I need shims in my shoes. I went to my surgeon and asked him why he never told me my legs would be different lengths and he said I will need to use ordhodics or get my other knee straightened in a few years. This is nuts. My other knee is just fine.  I am going to have to get another educated opinion on my options because I am in a real bind.

Does anyone have a similar story?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Dan. I had a left tkr six months ago. After the op the surgeon told me that during the op he had also straightened my leg and i was real pleased. But the problem is that as soon as i started to walk without crutches my hip was hurting and i felt that i had on leg longer than the other. At the six week appointment i told him about the hip pain and he said it was normal as the other knee need doing (it does). But i'm now suffering so bad with the hip and also lower back that i can't imagine extra pain with a right tkr. I also have a scoliosis. I'm not sure if that is what is causing this pain or the difference in my legs. A chiropractor did align me but i'm still suffering. I hope that with physio and muscle stregnthening we can get better.

Pam

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Your case is how I expect mine to play out. I have already been to a chiropractor and have shoe inserts. But unlike you I still have 1 very good knee that  doesn't need fixing. My inkling is to do what is needed to get the new knee working and then try to get some other medical opinions on both orthopedics and podiatry. Didn't expect this to keep snowballing.  

If I were you I would get the other knee done as soon as you can handle the entire ordeal. But you may want to shop around for a different doctor. I know I will when I get cut again.

• Posted

Hello Dan. I had a left tkr six months ago. After the op the surgeon told me that during the op he had also straightened my leg and i was real pleased. But the problem is that as soon as i started to walk without crutches my hip was hurting and i felt that i had on leg longer than the other. At the six week appointment i told him about the hip pain and he said it was normal as the other knee need doing (it does). But i'm now suffering so bad with the hip and also lower back that i can't imagine extra pain with a right tkr. I also have a scoliosis. I'm not sure if that is what is causing this pain or the difference in my legs. A chiropractor did align me but i'm still suffering. I hope that with physio and muscle stregnthening we can get better.

Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.