Leg length discrepancy following double total hip replacement

Posted , 20 users are following.

Does anyone have any problems with this.

I have one leg longer than the other which I believe causes me problems when walking and could be the answer to a lot of my ongoing pain. My surgeon says the MRI looks good and could not cause the pain. I also had screws fitted to my hip for stability. When I stand I am not straight and I do walk funny although I cannot walk or stand very much.

3 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, My wife had left leg done and it was 1/2 inch longer. doctor blew it off like no big deal, just put a lift in other shoe. Easy for a guy but not so for a woman with many style shoes including sandles. She has since had to have a "revisit" done and this one seems to be much better. After 7 years since the first one, no more limp. I think these guys are still flying by the seat of their pants with the parts they install.
  • Posted

Dont worry about it. It will go back to normal. I had the exact same scare. THR two years ago and the reason was that you have been compensating and the muscles have tightened up and tried to help you while you were limping around. I actually went to my doctor and said " hey, you made it too long". he got a chuckle. It took me a few months for everything to stretch back out to normal length.
    • Posted

You offer some hope that my legs will equal out.  I am just over 4 weeks into the recupe.  Can you offer any other info?
  • Posted

Nick, in your case you may be right. However, in my wife's, we acctually knew the rep for the company who supplied the parts. He was present during surgery. They are supposed to have an inventory of different parts available at the time of surgery and insert a "stem" that is sized to what they remove. Well, we found out several years later while talking to him at a cocktail party (he was drunk and very apologetic) that they didn't have the correct size. They put one in that was "close enough". So one has to ask, how offen does this happen and the patient never hears about it?
  • Posted

Thanks Ted. I have had inserts done for my shoes and this made little or not difference. Do you know if using different size hip implants makes a difference and causes pain? Hope your wife is doing ok.
  • Posted

Thank you Nick. I had my THRs in Feb and Sept 2011 you would have thought they would have adjusted by now. I believe there is something else going on, I have too much pain for there not to be. Thanks for your comments anyway, always good to hear from people and their views.
  • Posted

can you see a podiatrist or a chiropractor - they can assess gait and could probably measure your leg length. My surgeon did warn me that there could be a leg length discrepancy after surgery but in my case it rectified a difference.
  • Posted

Possum gives good advice. If the lenght of the parts are correct, time will help things. If not, expect a limp and potential other problems as the body (knees and back) compensate. In my wife's case, it's been 9 weeks since the re-visit and I believe this last doctor got it right. After 7 year from the first replacement and a limp plus back pain and knee pain, she is now walking very straight with no pain other than an occasional flare up in her knee which may just be related to age. (66 years)
  • Posted

Thank you Possum and Ted. I have already seen a podiatrist and have an insert for my shoe. I don't mind having a limp its the total pain I get that is the problem. I cannot go out on my own and if someone takes me out I have to use a wheelchair as my standing/walking is extremely limited. Its nearly three years since my first operation so you would think this would have started correcting itself by now. I also get pain just on sitting for any long period! I'm no spring chicken at 57 but I did not expect this and this particular pain was not there prior to my two THRs. Obviously there is degenerative wear and tear as in most people, I can cope with that. Thanks anyway
  • Posted

Hi i had a total Hip Replacement on my left leg in May last year, i have the same problem i only found out 2 weeks ago my operated leg is 1 and 1/2 cm longer i have pain in my hip and it feels numb all down the side and back of my leg down to my calf and i have back pain i cannot stand for to long still and the physio who measured it for me said i walk with a wobble, i am so angry that it has taken nearly 10 months for someone to listen to what i was saying and watch me walk to find out my leg is longer than the other. I have now got gel pads for my shoes and i have to wait for an appointment for a built up shoe and i'm left wondering how long it will take for this to get better. I an back to doing short walks for 4 mins and then having a rest, i was doing quite a lot of exercise but had to keep stopping because of the discomfort.
    • Posted

Hi Shirley, Like you I have had a THR on my right leg May 2013. I have said constantly that my leg was longer than the other one but told by 3 separate hip surgeons (all in the same hospital group) that there was nothing wrong. I have had various tests to check the replacement and all have been negative, I have also always stated that the leg was too long but no-one listened.

Last month I finally found out that my right leg is 2.5cms longer than my left leg and am now awating an appointment to see a hip reviosion surgeon in a different hospital group.

I've gone beyond being angry, like you I am in constant pain around the hip  and numbness around parts of the scar tissue and I cannot stand or walk more than a few steps without being in agony and I have to use a wheelchair for all trips out from the house. I've had built-up pads for my other shoe but find that then it increases the hip pain on the operated hip.

I can't imagine a time when I will be pain free but keep hoping for a miracle to happen!

• Posted

Hi Jayive, it's shocking to see so many people are in the same boat as us! Terrible really, considering how advanced things are these days. I've picked up my inner soles from orthopaedics today so let's see what happens. It's nice to share our experiences and knowing your not on your own really does help. Hope things are more positive as time goes on. 
    • Posted

Hi Shirley, July 2015 I had complex total Hip & pelvis replaced on my right leg it was great. Feb 2016 I had the same on my left side done, I first day I was allowed out of bed I new there was something not right. I said to the nurse there's something not right it's has if my leg is longer she looked hasi was walking she said mmmm, yes maybe it is I new yes it was, at my check up appointment I said to the surgeons under Dr that my leg is longer I'm not happy he said no it's all in your head. I then was sent an appointment 2 weeks later I said the same to this Dr he said mmmm let me have a look yes it does seem a little longer, I will arrange for you to have measurements done which is 31st may Tuesday next week, but in the mean time I've seen the surgeon and guess what he says no your leg isn't longer I said so why do I have a limp, it's your spine. My spine then he said I can make arrangement for measurements to be done I said no I all ready have an appointment. Oh right it will be interesting to see just how much longer your leg is. O m g can you believe it Lorraine 
  • Posted

Hi Shirley,

It sounds as if you have had a tough time too, but at least you are getting some things done now to sort out the problem. I don't know why it takes them so long to resolve these problems or even acknowledge them! I hope your walking continues to improve biggrin

• Posted

In my wife's case, her doctor was told by so many people how great he was that when he screwed up my wife's surgery, he refused to admit he put in too long of a stem in addition to not having the cup liner locked into the cup..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.