Leg length discrepancy following double total hip replacement

Posted , 20 users are following.

Does anyone have any problems with this.

I have one leg longer than the other which I believe causes me problems when walking and could be the answer to a lot of my ongoing pain. My surgeon says the MRI looks good and could not cause the pain. I also had screws fitted to my hip for stability. When I stand I am not straight and I do walk funny although I cannot walk or stand very much.

3 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello sue87388 UK,

I agree with you.  I had to get my right hip redone to get the discrepancy in my walk back to normal, and the pain was unbearable.  I am still in pain, but I walk the way I was born, and I have a great pain management doctor, who has helped me a lot.  I pray that you get better soon, because hip replacements are surposed to help you, and should turn out to be better than you own hip if done properly.  

• Posted

Hi sue,this day & age things like this shouldn't be happening. We put how selfs in there hands, and  we shouldn't  be in pain, and unable to walk normal it's  wrong.  I'm not happy at all. 
  • Posted

Hi Sue, Yes same as you described. But went to a different orthopedic Dr and he was baffled by the deformed appearance of my femer bone. The pain I 'm having is all related to the hip replacement I had 3 yrs. Ago and almost immediately (3weeks) after replacement the pain became very apparent and my opposite knee was appearing to look knocked kneed. Slowly it became worse.After several return visits to my original Ortho. and many x-rays and MRI to my back, not my knee. Blaming it on my back as all looked well with the hip replacement. Lo and behold the new orthopedic Dr. Took x-rays of my knee and was shocked as to what he was looking at. My femur is slanted , not straight and after much measuring my hip replacement leg is 2'' shorter than the other leg. causing my thigh bone to slant in towards the other knee and causing my severe pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.