Leg pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I"m so glad I found this web sight, I was starting to think that i may need to go see a psychiatrist.

The pain is there but no one can see it but I  feel it..

11 months of  pain for me in the legs and feet every day and night.Started a year ago with leg cramps the it got worse and worse! Calves of legs pain, go numb to the point that i have panic attacks. I still have the pain and no sleep but no panic attacks anymore because well, i guess I'm getting use to it. I"m 68 but still work and need some sleep.

This is no quality of life. I have had every test MRI ,3 ultra sounds, X rays yesterday a CT scan next a neurologist.

I have changed doctors so many times . I want a answer so bad can anyone tell me if  there is one please!

Thank you,

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Darlene, I feel your pain !

I'm also 68 years old and will be 69 on May 1st !

I've had this terrible neuropathy pain in my both feet and toes for around 5 years !

I've also had the MRI's, Cat Scan's, EMG, Numerous injections and even surgery and my pain is 24/7 all the time !

I have an appointment with a pain management doctor on April 3rd to discuss implanting a nerve stimulator to try to at least give me some pain relief !!!

When and if I do get the nerve stimulator, I'll keep everyone updated on my progress or no progress !

Take care,

Donald Goss

• Posted

Hello Donald,

Thank you for responding to me. Sometimes I feel hopeless and so tired because

I don"t sleep with the pain,

I"m so thankful I found people that have this problem and understand .

I also am going to a neurologist on the 3rd.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Sincerely,

Darlene

• Posted

You need to do nerve conduction tests with the neurologist, and also request a skin biopsy to check for 'small fibre neuropathy', which can't be detected via the other tests. I also recommend having thorough blood sugar tests like the oral glucose tolerance test (your fasting level alone isn't enough). Also look into things like gluten intolerance / Celiac disease, as this can cause neurological problems. I'm sure the neurologist will send you for all the other standard blood tests. I'd recommend cutting out all sugar, sweetener, grains and alcohol in the meantime. It can help quite a lot.

• Posted

Thank you for information this will be helpful for my appointment With neurologist on the

3rd.

Boy cutting out all sugar and sweetener is going be hard. But at this point I'll try anything to help.

• Posted

I woudn't cut out all sugar because that could cause a sugar defiiciency. Your body needs some sugar.  I knew an old lady who went to her doctor with fatigue and her doctor diagnosed a sugar deficiency.  She went back on sugar and got immediately better!  Simply reduce your sugar intake.  There is nothing wrong with sugar in moderation.  The only sugar you should avoid is the artificial kinds like sorbitol and aspartame.  You only need to avoid sugar or monitor your sugar levels if you are diabetic.

• Posted

Sorry, untrue. That lady was probably diagnosed as being hypoglycemic, meaning she had low blood sugar. That's not a deficiency of processed sugar. Your body naturally produces glucose from *anything* you eat. You will only get low blood sugar from now eating enough, or often enough. Processed sugar has zero nutrients in it. Pure energy. Never, ever good, and most neurologists will tell you to steer clear. Fruit has enough natural sugar in it, if you really crave the taste.

• Posted

No, the lady was told she was sugar deficient and to put more sugar in her diet.   She wasn’t taking enough of it.  She added more sugar to her diet and felt better.
    • Posted

Natural sugar is fine in moderation! Your body needs it! It is artificial sugar that you should avoid such as aspartame and sorbitol.
  • Posted

For leg cramps, try tonic water.  The quinine it contains helps with cramps.  It helps my dad’s leg cramps.  If you get numbness, it might be neuropathic pain caused by a trapped nerve or circulation problems.  Other causes for neuropathy include, diabetes, injury, diet and shingles.  There is not much can be done for it.  What treatment you are offered will depend on what has caused it.  

I have neuropathy in both arms and hands due to injuries.  I was only offered low dose antidepressants, which I refused because I feared side effects. I decided just to live with it and I have got used to the come and go nerve sensations.

• Posted

Tonic water doesn't  work .Tried it not!  My legs hurt so bad at night I can't explain it.

My legs and feet go numb. I haven't had a good night sleep in 11 months. So I cant live with it

because I need sleep.

There has to be a answer somewhere somehow.I think I:m going to see how Donald appointment

went. He said he would keep us updated  on his progress. And also I haven"t been diagnosed with anything.

But talking to people who know what I go through helps.

• Posted

Neuropathy often is worse at night and during damp weather. I’ve been getting tingliing, pain and numbness recently with the cold air and heavy rain.  Hopefully you can get a diagnosis soon.
  • Posted

Darlene, the 1st thing that I'd recommend you do is go see a Neurologist and have an EMG done ! The hopefully the doctor can send you somewhere to get some pain relief !

Don

• Posted

That's a good deal  Darlene !

Please keep me updated !

Good luck to you!

Don

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.