leg pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

can any one tell me as had back problem for year now why is that from From Knee down is just like something missing its hard describe its like you have tooth out and know missing that how feels from my knee down to back my heel and walk with feels like i walk with wooden leg all know its very odd feeling can any suggest what could be.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Sarah, sorry you're suffering. I too have this same feeling in my leg. It's to do with your sciatic nerve. Have you been diagnosed with a disc bulge or a herniated disc? I'm guessing your problem disc is around L5.

I suffered a herniated L5 after a car accident 3 years ago. Long story short the disc was pressing on my sciatic nerve which runs down my left leg. So I was experiencing severe pain in my knee, and a pins and needles sensation in my foot. My back pain improved with physio and the strange leg and foot feeling eventually went away. However in August last year I had a relapse. I stood up and felt a twinge in my back, a week later it went into spasm and I found myself being rushed to A&E via an ambulance using gas and air! Again, long story short it was the same disc that had bulged and was again pressing on the nerve. I was in agony for about 4 weeks, hardly able to move. Unfortunately I am still experiencing what I call my dead leg and foot. It feels weird when I touch it and aches constantly. My physio told me, the longer the nerve is being compressed the longer the nerve damage takes to repair. I've come to terms with the fact that I may not get full feeling back in my leg and foot but it sucks.

Things you can do to help,

Leg and back stretches before you get out of bed.

Ice or heat on your back to relieve the pain.

Ice or heat on your leg.

See a physio for stretches

See an osteopath for spinal manipulation to relieve pressure on your nerve.

I hope this has helped you understand your pain, please go and see a physio though as I really found mine helpful. I hope you get better soon? xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.