Leg pain after PFO closure procedure

Posted , 1 user is following.

Has anyone had this procedure and ended up with pain going further down the leg ? I don't think anything serious is going on but the last couple of days I’m having a hard time walking around without pain. It goes away when I get off my feet. I wonder if it isn't referred pain . Its been 9 days since surgery. This started on day 8.

I do have fibromyalgia and just seem to be more pain sensitive.

I have to say that the worst part of this procedure is that groin wound pain and not being able to really exercise. They’re sending me to cardiac rehab which will help me feel comfortable getting back to exercise and seeing what I can do and what I shouldn’t do.

I feel very grateful to have gotten this done. Eight years ago they diagnosed a small PFO with atrial septal aneurysm and told me it was no big deal after I told him I’d had symptoms of a TIA. They had done a TEE.

I finally got around to getting a second opinion and next thing I know I was being referred for closure.

Turns out the PFO was large with a large atrial septal aneurysm and a fenestrated ASD. The report also says it couldn’t exclude a second atrial septal defect but that there was no evidence of it after they closed it all up with a 30mm device.

I am 55 years old and I started having some chest pains. I don’t know if this is related to any of this but I also developed increasingly severe and chronic migraines. I’m hoping this will cut down on some of those at least.

Within 48 hours of my surgery I also had a very scary episode where I became short of breath, nauseous, dizzy, and passed out - and was drenched in sweat with my blood pressure really low. It resolved in some minutes and the cardiologist told me it sounded like a vasovagal incident. I don’t think he knows what it was exactly as I just woke up like that. I think it had to do with the surgery itself and my body trying to reset itself or something. ( I was under full general for this.)

Cant wait to be recovered and back on my feet. This was a much bigger deal and a stress than I imagined it would be.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.