Leg pain diagnosis help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Right so ill try and be as informative about everything as I can but its all a bit strange really.

So it started about 4 weeks ago when I started running and my new desk job (im about to turn 22). I was sat In the cinema a few days later when I had a random burst of pins and needles that lasted for about 5-10 mins. After this I was left with a soft Cramping feeling in my right calf. This maintained untill about a week later when I started to get a really tight feeling in my groin of the same leg.

Went to see the doctor the same week and she said she wasnt sure so sent me for blood tests. Since that time my back has started to ache at the bottom while the groin pain has totally left.

A week later the blood test came back all clear with everything being at a good level. At this time id been resting and the problems had decreased. Now being back at work the leg pain has returned now with a bruise over the back of my calf and it feels restless the later in the day it is.

Hope this makes sence, any advice would be appreciated, wondering if I should go for a scan. All I can think about is my Grandad died from ALS and its making me pretty anxious to be honest...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Would be very worth your while to ask for further scans/testing, etc.  Your symptoms don't sound like RLS, especially when it first begins.  Might be something to do with your beginning to run but as the symptoms have returned and now you have the bruise over your calf - just to be on the save side you may want to have it checked.  RLS usually doesn't cause bruising.  Are you taking anying new or different medications, vitamins, etc?  Hoping it's just a strain reaction to beginning running.
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear that? I have restless legs the doc gave me Sifrol pills it worked well but I had to take it 2 hrs before bed my legs started like yours first cramps then groin then the rsl, anyway then I discovered Scweppes Diet Indian Tonic Water it's now 5 days I am drinking 1/4 glass just before I sleep , I sleep like a baby my legs are good during the day ? Much better than the pills I feel normal again? Just don't add anything to the tonic it's helping me hopefully it will help you either way tell your doctor I am loving my legs and sleep againGood luck
  • Posted

The Tonic water is very good for cramps too
    • Posted

The quinine content of tonic water is nowadays quite low compared to prescription doses, but quinine is known to have side-effects and according to the NHS website there are "reported cases of people dying from thrombocytopenia after taking quinine to prevent leg cramps".

[Not really scaremongering! Just relaying what I've come across about quinine.]

• Posted

I found out that when Quinine is in the tonic water it's very little it's not like a pill you take coz the pills are so strong lol
  • Posted

It doesn't sound like RLS to me either. You should check with your doctor if you have bruising without known cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.