Leg pain for six months--what could it be?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, 22 year old male here. Not extremely active, but I get my exercise in at least once a week. 5'10" 150 lbs.

Starting in January 2017 I've had leg pain. Just my right leg, stinging pain of the back of my knee where it bends. Sharp pains in my calf, thigh, and foot. Sometimes in my buttock, sometimes even on the inner or front of my thigh. Sometimes it feels like more of a dull ache, or a throbbing ache. It comes and goes, usually getting worse at rest and right after exercise. I also experience little fasciculations all over the leg.

I had an ultrasound to check for DVT or Baker's cyst and came back negative. My orthopedic suspected sciatica and put me on steroids for six days, no effect on the pain. My left calf feels much softer and flabbier than my right (the one in question). Sometimes the back of my knee will feel slightly swelled. Frequently my right leg will feel warmer than the other.

Can sciatica really cause warmness, and a firmer calf? I'm at such a loss, after having a massive fear of blood clots, I can't find any other explanation for these symptoms. The persistent pain drives me insane and worries me like hell. My health anxiety is telling me the US missed a clot, I know that's so unlikely and I am low risk anyway. My real question is what could this be?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sounds to me like Sciatica a simple "Dead Leg Test" by your Physician should confirm this.

A Nerve Block  injection after an M.R.I.Scan, would greatly help and would highlight any prolapsed discs necessitating Spinal Surgery, but be advised by your Doctor. Sounds like you are in the U.S.?

Don't worry. but investigations are required, get the Doctors  to explain the M.R.I Scan to you to allay any anxiety.

• Posted

Just throwing this out there because I am recovering (9 months) from sciatica. If you didn't strain or hurt your back or spine in anyway or move in some weird position suddenly, sciatica sounds less likely. Also you are very young so stenosis is unlikely. Research Periformis and see if that's something similar to what's happening to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.