leg pain for the last two weeks.

Posted , 3 users are following.

The pain got better for about 5 days but since about ten days ago the pain has yoyo'd about a certain plateau. It started while jogging two Sundays ago, my GP diagnosed the pain the day after as compartment syndrome, said I shouldn't jog on it for a couple of weeks but here I am nearly two weeks over and not much better. I am going in again on Monday but was wondering if it could be a small fracture.

The pain is in my lower left leg, not the topside of the shin, but the bone immediately under the calf muscle. Flexing the muscle is mostly painless, "spinning" rotating the foot etc is fine. Resting it is sometimes as painful as walking, and putting pressure on the bone from the outside left is painful. Anywho, sucks a lot, I stopped biking to school for the two weeks but I do have to do a fair amount of walking between classes but I assume that isn't enough to exasperate compartment syndrome this badly? Either way thanks in advance for any help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You don't say what your injury was altho I'm guessing a broken leg or when it happened. 

I would have thought that jogging would be too violent an activity but that cycling or swimming good for keeping weight off the injury & to strengthen the supporting muscles.

Your doctors diagnosis of compartment syndrome sounds exacly right. Good luck, be patient & as you are young you will heal quickly. 

• Posted

I don't know the injury, that's what I'm asking because I think my doctor misdiagnosed. Since they said I could be back to jogging by now but it still hurts constantly. And also what do you mean broken leg? Like the bike? Surely I wouldn't be able to walk on a broken leg without immense agony? Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough.
  • Posted

Sorry, Joel, I had assumed you were recovering from a broken leg.

Did the pain start after jogging or did something else cause it?

Compartment syndrome occurs due to increased pressure within a confined space, most commonly in the leg below the knee.

When you see your doctor tell him exactly where it hurts & ask how active you should be so as not to aggravate the injury. Ask questions that are concerning you.

Ask if biking, swimming, walking is good for you to do or would delay healing. If you still feel unhappy you can ask for a 2nd opinion.

• Posted

When I was 12, I broke my fibula falling off a horse. Same pain as you have in same areas. Mine was a hairline fracture, not seen at first because the ex-rays couldn't "see" the growth plate.

Males mature much slower than females, and do not reach full height until their twenties. Assuming you are much younger than that (17? 18?), you may still have some of a growth plate yet still firming up into bone. Those types of injuries can hurt like crazy, but not so crazy you cannot walk.

I didn't wear a cast, just had the leg strapped up well and used some crutches for minimal support. I was not totally healed, though, for at least 5 weeks. It was a bummer:  I missed all the summer horse shows!! That's a summer from 35 years ago, and that leg STILL bothers me some to this day.

No worries, dude. Just think, when you get old and grumpy and wrinkled like me, your leg will give away the weather...smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.