Leg Problems

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does anyone else suffer from thumping, painful legs with hypo? Not talking about restless legs. My legs feel as though they are burning and expanding - they're not. It's constant. On levo. If anyone can share would be grateful

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Lia

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

A few things, magnesium and potassium can be low at times and can create awful leg pain.  Also Vit D can do this.  Low B complex  vitamins and low  B12 can also cause leg problems.

Watch edema (swelling) and make sure you watch sodium in foods as it retains fluid in the cells in the body and legs.  Edema an cause pain as legs can swell and the nerves can be pressed on.

Keep legs elevated on foot stool and push and feel for swelling and if you have that see the doctor. They have diuretics for this.

Eat healthy and Nuts are good for magnesium and Bananas have potassium in them.  Do watch your diet.  Avoid bad junk foods.

Ask your doctor to check your B12,  magnesium, sodium and potassium & Vit D levels next time you do blood work.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you Shelly. My bloods are checked for everything. I have been prescribed Vit D by my endo along with selenium.

I also take Vit B complex.

I don't eat junk food at all. I eat healthily - I live in Italy.

I don't know what is causing the pains.

Thanks again for replying.

• Posted

get the magnesium i am tell you... ask your Dr to check it I promise you it your magnesium.....JUST LOOK UP THE SIDE EFFECTS OF LOW MAG ON THE INTERNET
    • Posted

lia32714 if you don't want to take the pills take a  epson salt bath every day after 4 days GET BACK ON HERE AND TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL

• Posted

Hello Lia:

Also look into having an ultrasound done of your legs.  Some people can have poor blood flow n the legs and can have many incompetent blood vessels. This can also cause pain. It is a good diagnostic tool.

Some people take quinine which is helpful to the legs and you can get that in tonic water or in a pill form.

Again, Magnesium and potassium can also be main culprits and B-12 if low can be bad for nerves and your legs.

Please keep us posted on how you do.

Shelly

• Posted

Just updating as promised.

Saw my endo yesterday. He agreed to change meds and reduce dosage.

Also sending me for more tests to check for auto-immune. -- hashimotos/rheumatoid arthritis.

Tests tomorrow so will update again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.