Leg re-swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 5 weeks post op for TKR. I had what I take to be the usual swelling when I first came home. Only last week, I managed to get my shoe back onto that foot without a huge struggle, but since Saturday, the puffiness has returned and the whole leg seems just a bit tighter. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a bit worried that something may be going on. I've struggled with movement in the joint since I came home - mainly due to the swelling I feel. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

While you will face swelling on and off during your recovery, if you feel it is unusual, I would call your physical therapist or orthopedics office for peace of mind.  
  • Posted

I'm 3 months post op on my second TKR.  What you will find is that no two experiences are the same.  I live in Texas, so don't know if you are USA or another country.  My surgeon is very open to calling his assistant with questions, if she cannot answer she will get answer from doc.   I can tell you that as you recover and become more active, you will feel much better.   And, as my doc says, if you overdo, your knee will let you know.   1st TKR...Walking on uneven ground (like in woods) made my knee swell four months out.  I could not climb the ladder into my blind per docs orders 5 months out because of slant.  It really is a long road to full recovery, but you will soon get to feeling so much better you will be glad you had it done.  
  • Posted

Are you elevating and icing throughout the day. One of the problems a lot of people have is remembering that after just a few weeks your aren't healed, you are lulled into feeling that way. Activity levels increase faster than the body is ready to accept. If you examine what happens during surgery you can see the damage that is done to the entire limb. The tie a tourniquet around the leg for blood loss control. This causes blood to pool in the calf, ankle and foot disrupting blood flow out of that are. It takes awhile for the veins an arteries to return to normal. That's one of the reasons try don't want your leg draped over a pillow behind the knee and don't want you to cross your ankles when you lay down. I got chewed out royally by a couple of nurses and therapists after a couple of my surgeries as I seemed to do this naturally. This is where the white surgical hose helps some. They keep the blood flowing and prevent clotting. Some Dr's think they are unnecessary while others make it 6 weeks mandatory (like mine). I go to a teaching medical university and it's standard practice throughout the department. Just make sure because you are f÷long so good that you aren't overdoing it. Many people find they are ready for lace up shoes and look for something that slips in and more comfortable. I'm d ure others on here can give you proper advice. I've always worn some form of slip on sandal and this time I bought a cheap pair of croc's. Not much in style points but do the job. I think you and i are about the same time post op. I Will be 5 weeks this Thursday. This is the 5th time I have had the knee opened and the 3rd total knee that has been put in.
    • Posted

My goodness - you have been through the hoops! This is my first major surgery, at 59, and therefore don't have any prior experience on which to lean. I've been wearing a bandage (closed circle) that the physiotherapist gave me but have not worn by white stockings for the past 2 weeks. I wonder if I should put them back on? I am, at this stage, pretty disappointed with the outcome of my surgery and have limited movement in this knee joint. I am at 90 degrees following a massage by the physio but at 10 degrees behind the knee. It is very uncomfortable 24/7 and feels like it doesn't belong to me at all. I'm due to have the other one done in 3 months but at this stage - I'm not so sure!
  • Posted

This is normal, and I have been battling swelling and how much PT I can do when it feels like I'm walking on a water balloon.....But the PT is critical to a satisfactory outcome, and you have to adjust what you can do ie: non weightbearing exercises bun + thigh squeezes atc - im sure you have the list.....If you don't push yourself to get full extension and minimum 90 o flexion you will struggle later. Physical Therapy is the most critical part of your rehab
    • Posted

OFGuy makes an excellent point about the tourniquet and lower limb swelling - needs time to get back to normal and my ortho dept (Stanford) recommends same 6 weeks with the stockings - you can purchase them in black at walgreens etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.