Leg swelling

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am very concerned as my right leg which 7 months ago had TKR is now bigger than my left leg. I am thinking it's swollen. So it's not just knee which is actually doing ok but leg doesn't feel so good. I have stepped up my walking a lot sometimes 16,000 steps a day. I am wondering if I am doing too much a d leg not necessarily knee is unhappy ~ can this be? Should I slow down a bit? I really want my right leg to be like my left leg lol it's not a huge difference but it's slightly noticeable in looks and feel. Stranger might not really notice and I can feel leg pulsing at times. I am not icing or taking g any meds as pain is manageable but maybe I should anyways yikes

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI Robin I’m 6 weeks post op and week 3/4 my leg was twice the size of my better leg and I just put it down to normal swelling after surgery. It was also blotchy red so I went to see gp and it turned out I had an infection. It was very hard to do the exercises but I tried my best. Maybe you should get it checked even if it turns out to be nothing 
    • Posted

Thank you so much! I think I will if easing up daily activities doesn’t bring about some change. I think I will take some Advil too just to keep inflammation in check. LOL thanks again and I wish you the best in your recovery! It truly does get loads better but it’s a process 😊

• Posted

Hey, yes best to get it checked. I hope so as I’m at 90 degree bend atm but I think I should  be further along but I need to realise it’s a slow process. Hope you get it sorted 😊

• Posted

Also my knee feels very hot to touch.  I Ice it when it’s happens but just wondered why it happens 
    • Posted

Thank you I will double check to make sure I am ok. I am beginning to ice again. I think you should ask your doc about very hot to touch. I did not experience that. It's probably fine but just double check.  Thank you again

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I remember my doctor telling me in the hospital, that my knee will feel warm but that it should subside as time goes on, which it did. I'm 8 weeks post op. But he said, if the heat gets worse to let him know. I'm sure that means that is not a good thing. But for you to have some heat in the early weeks is normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.