leg swelling more and feeling depressed.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since I had my TKR and not sure if its my imagination or not but sometimes my leg seems to swell up more, there is no redness, heat or pain, this is hindering me doing some of the exercises as it is too painful, Post op pain is easing now and just mainly in the knee area as opposed to the whole leg before, but am getting pain in the thigh area, also still unable to sleep for any length of time, also feeling sorry for myself so need some advise/shaking up lol please.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Keep going one day at a time hon, I'm sure your doing everything right. Swelling will go up and down as will pain. Make sure you drink plenty as muscles and tissues heal faster if they're well hydrated, keep up the exercises and keep taking your pain medication. I'm 12 mths left tkr and 8 days right tkr. I know some days drag, maybe plan a trip or a new hobby or a new read,ive got a stack of books by me,my iPad camera and I've joined a few forums. I'm getting into a routine even managed 4 hrs sleep last night. We're all in this together
    • Posted

Hi thanks for replying, feel reassured by the fact that you say swelling will go up and down, am drinking a fair bit but could probably up it a bit more. How is the left knee feeling 12 months later? How long was it before you ditched the crutches? no chance of me doing that yet but nice to know how other people got on, good luck with the recovery for the right knee.
    • Posted

I struggled with my left knee,it was a very long slow recovery,i couldn't get a good bend, I felt so down as people older than me in the physio class were peddling bikes and all sorts, I couldn't even walk straight, I became obsessed with flexion numbers and cried a lot. I made a decision not to look at knee flexion numbers anymore and to focus on what I could do and not what I couldn't. I bought a set of pedals and got going very slowly at first, I stopped comparing myself to others and just tried to do the best I could. Now that knee is well on its way to recovery,its taken a long time but I'm now glad I had it done. My latest knee has already been a much different experience,more bend,less bruising and better sleep ,it shows that every knee is different
    • Posted

I'm pleased to read this as Im now 5 weeks post op and just can't get the bend and 53  at the physio yesterday there was a lady who was 85 had her operation three weeks ago and could bend it as well as I can bend my good knee so as you can imagine how we felt really down but like you say we are all different , I have got an exercise bike but the physios have told me to wait until after next week and they will start me off on one in the gym good luck with yours and obviously keep doing what you're doing
  • Posted

Hi I'm five weeks post operation tomorrow it is a pain the swelling does go up and down my swelling was very bad that I had to take my support stockings off a couple weeks early but since taken them off it's a lot better my knee actually looks like a knee now which is good still painful still hard to do the exercises I have Trouble trying to do the bending of my knee older people are doing it with such ease it really frustrates me but saying that she wear early days keep up the good work we get there in the end
  • Posted

Hi Susie,

I was EXACTLY the same at 3 weeks and a bit longer. So do NOT worry.

I just did 2 sets of bed exercises if I was swollen and I would only push lightly.

I would say try to focus week to week and look for some small improvement, anything.

I am 9 weeks post op.

Today I woke a bit stiffer and swollen from doing too much yesterday. Went to physio and she said don't worry expect swelling on and off for a while yet. When I went in my bend was only 102°, when I left she had helped me get 110°.

What you describe is normal from my experience.

Best wishes and Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Susie!

Swelling even up to a year is "common" according to my surgeon who has been doing TKR surgeries for over 30 years. Swelling comes at weird times according to ME, and goes away often without even doing anything to get rid of it!

You are very early in this "adventure" and are doing well from what I can tell!😊 There is A LOT of trauma to TKR surgery, and it effects more than just the knee!

I got off all narcotics after my staples came out at two weeks. I was done with blood thinner shots then, too. Ya HOO!!!🙌🙌🙌🙌 When I started back on just Ibuprofen ( my mainstay for all aches and pains PRIOR to surgery), I felt a lot better. Those drugs and shots did NOT make my body feel like ME!

SLEEP...Ah, yes! It is GREAT when you can get it, but I didn't sleep 6 hours straight until about 12 weeks in. Took me that long to get onto my stomach easily so that I could finally SLEEP! One year in I sleep better than I did before surgery when terrible pain woke me up every couple of hours.

Prayer helps me tremendously. It brings me calmness and strength and the ability to look at small gains that come as I continue to heal.

Sending prayers of strength to you today!😊

It will get better. Be patient and take good care of that body of yours that has been through a lot of trauma!

• Posted

Hi Susie, I am 13 weeks post op and my knee stil swells if I overdo it. I was at my dr's yeaterday and she said it was a common thing as we heal. She told me just to ensure I keep icing and elevating especially after exercising.

​As for sleep it too is a common problem with us. It is so hard to get comfortable and when we do fall asleep, move cause discomfort in knee and then we wake again. I sometimes could just sit and cry as did not realse how much this would take out of me and how long the recovery would take. I am glad I had it done as i is so much better than the bone on bone pain I was suffering. Best wishes for your continuing recovery. xx

• Posted

Susie,  hi I am20 weeks post op and stil have swelling.  Try 30 minutes of elevation and 20 of it icing prior to exercise.  Then you know elevate and ice after too.  At three weeks I was still elevating for 1 hour twice a day other than elevating and icing after exercise.  It worked well for my swelling.  Unable to sleep is very normal as we all know...part is the pain...part is the pain medication it's a catch 22.  Depression is also vey normal with the type of pain we all had with this major surgery.  Pain and lack of sleep will make you depressed.....just go ahead and cry.  It is very cleansing.  After my first good cry I sure let myself easier the second time.  Nap when you can, drink lots of water.  Good luck.

pam

• Posted

I am nearly 5 weeks since TKR thigh still really bad it sort of twangs when I move. Swelling in whole leg especially if I have done anything. Still iceing and paracetamol. Not able to take stronger pain killers as don't seem to agree with me. So pain 24/7. Thought I'd be running round block by now. Oh well guess it will take time and must stay positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.