Leg tightness just before falling asleep PMR?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm not sure if this is pmr related or not but it seems to be

what happens to me just as I'm going to sleep my thighs

front and back will start tensing up tight then have a deep

ache/pain.So irritating.frown

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had dreadful trouble with my legs - I used to get Restless Legs prior to PMR and I took Magnesium to deal with that - instant relief!

Now I 'just' get the complete 'fatigue' feeling in my legs (upper thighs) that you get when you've really over done things - like a 10km run - even when I've done nothing of the sort!

It helps when I take something to relax when I go to bed - but the Drs aren't keen on giving you stuff like that - pity!

• Posted

Oh you summed up exactly how I feel.I just didn't

know why the feeling would come on like a switch

as soon as I try to go to sleep it happens.That restless

leg feeling and then it turns in to deep ache and in the

morning my legs feel all worn out sad which makes for

a long day again.I do use magnesium powder in my

breakfast smoothie,it gives it a bit of a wangy taste

but I know I need it

• Posted

Before bedtime try a fifteen minute soak in a reasonably hot bath containing epsom salts (aka magnesium).  May relax you so you can sleep better.
    • Posted

Try a foot bath.  There is info online about this.  Your skin absorbs the magnesium, doesn't matter if it's just your feet.  And it may be nearly as relaxing as a full bath. wink

• Posted

I'm not sure if anyone gets this with pmr but my arms from elbow up

and my thighs from my knees to hips gets this sensation of squeezing

feeling before it goes real tense.I am not finding anything on it through

research to see if it is pmr related.I've had heart tests done with a monitor

a bit over a year ago and all is well there.I do have spinal stenosis

at L4/l5-s1 but I can't see how that would effect the arms

• Posted

That's good to know,I do have a foot bath massager.

Thanks for the tip biggrin

• Posted

If you are getting muscle spasms a physiotherpist should be able to help with this, possibly through a technique called dry needling which resets the electrical impulses in the offending muscles.
    • Posted

I've never heard of dry needling,I will look that up.I don't have

health insurance so don't have access to a physiotherapist

but I have been taking the magnesium lately and making sure

I take my vitamin D and I have noticed a difference in the last

week.The spasms have settled down.

• Posted

That's excellent.  There may be other ways to relax the muscles which could help.  Heating pads or haot water bottle at night?  Biofeedback?  Let me know if you find anything which works for you.

• Posted

hot water bottle rolleyesredface

• Posted

FlipDover,I needed to go back over my original post to see if when

you get the restless legs/ache in thighs do you feel like you

also have flu like symptoms along with the deep ache in thighs?

I was hit yesterday late afternoon with the feeling of body aches

like you get when you have the flu but the majority of ache and

pain is in both thighs.I am still working through my symptoms

for my diagnosis and don't see my rheum until April.This is about

the same time I was hit last year with pmr type symptoms.

Can't help but wonder if weather changes sets it off.

• Posted

I'll admit that some times I would get body aches like I was going to get a cold, but it never developed. (this has all changed since starting on Actemra - see my post about that!)

You could just be sick. Maybe go and see your GP to eliminate any thing else.

• Posted

That's good you got the relief with Actemra.I don't have a GP

but only a nurse practitioner.I have wait times for when I can

see her.I know I'm not sick as this is the same pattern of attacks

I get when they happen.I will be seeing my rheum in April.

Thanks for replying.Hugs Tory

• Posted

Hi, I find if I take a Magnesium tablet just before bed it eases any muscle stress and leg stress, it relaxes my muscles and I sleep like a baby> Different for all, but at least the Magnesium is natural: always need to check with DR that you don't have to much already : Cheers

• Posted

dea thanks for the tip,magnesium must be the right thing

as I have had several here give same advice.My rheumy

has given same tip as well for my fibro.I will make it a point to take at

bed time biggrin it is even good for mood swings which we

can get from not getting good sleep

• Posted

Hi Dea just quick question, how long after taken magnesium would you feel the benefit or how long would you have to take it for? Thanks
    • Posted

If it's any help, I find a hot bath with epsom salts is helpful, BUT there may be a placebo effect as a hot bath without epsom salts is also very relaxing!  I found after starting to take one of my calcium doses at bedtime that I found it much easier to get to sleep and stay asleep.  This was an unexpected effect, so I guess that would rule out placebo. Perhaps magnesium works the same way, which is, basically, as soon as it's in your bloodstream?

• Posted

Hi, sorry I didn't get back sooner : I take the magnesium every night, and I feel it within 5 to 10 mins, then I'm off to sleep. When I have my blood done they check my magnesium levels, they say because of the bad soil today we don't get enough in our veg etc these days.... I have taken it for years. Everyone is different of course : It works:  Cheers Dea

• Posted

Hi Dea thanks for getting back to me. I have bought some magnesium tablets, noticed they do a spray wonder if that might help, like I'm on 6 mg pred now and only noticed pains in thighs has come back, I think in last 8 weeks, I was back with rheumatologist, well someone off team, who wasn't very nice, the consultants and team are always so nice and helpful, but he the first that I found to horrible, asking me why I was self medicating, I shouldn't be taken half doses, he asked me my age and wrote me off😳 I'm 65, he told me my bloods were fine, when I asked him what my CRP and ESR were didn't want to tell me, they were up cause had been keeping close eye on them, and they always reflect on my pain, he tried to tell they were not raised, I hold him I had been stressed lately hearing news of my daughter, but he blanked me,

I had been very stressed lately as my daughter was diagnosed with Breast cancer in August ( had a lump and 2 consultants said it was fine) anyway it was really bad, she recovering fr double mastectomy, but she doing ok she only 35 with 2 small children age 2 and 4. But we were in shock.

Sorry for long story and thanks again

• Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear about your daughter and so young. I have just had a Lumpectomy on my left breast in Oct and having radiation therapy now, I was lucky. I hope all goes well for your daughter. Stess plays a big factor with our PMR I am sure of that.

Your Dr should have given you your results, I would demand them, you have the right. He sounds like a W*****   maybe time to change Dr's :

I hope all goes well for you and your daughter... The magnesium will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.