Leg tinglings and muscle spasms in calves

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm hoping someone can help me here, ive been having neurological problems for a while now, they went and have now come back, I have no pain but I do have constant tingling in my lower legs and muscle spasms in my calves, I'm very worried about it but not anxious, I have a neurology appointment on 31/10 but it seems to be getting worse so was hoping for some friendly advice. I had an MRI back in Feb and it showed a few problems with my L5/S1 could this be the source of my problem ?

Some mentions of the L5/S1 are as follows,

There is degeneration of the L5/S1 disc with a circumferential disc bulge.

There is bilateral facet joint degeneration at L4-5 and L5/S1 more pronounced on the left at the latter. Normal central canal and neural foramina throughout with no focal nerve root impingement at any level. There are bilateral pars defects (Spondylolysis) at the L5/S1 level with no

displacement/spondylolisthesis.

Conclusion

There is multilevel thoracolumbar disc and facet joint degeneration as described with no evidence of cord or nerve root impingement at any level.  Bilateral par defects without slip are noted at L5/S1

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So it sounds like you have a bad disk at L5/S1 with no sign of nerve impingement or stenosis...but you have symptoms in your lower extremities that are usually associated with the L4 through the S2 lumbar/sacral area.  I'm not a doc but have had multiple lumbar surgeries.

First, be mindful that an MRI can be "inconclusive" or not reveal everything.  That "bulging disk" may be impacting nerves they can't see clearly.  The "gold standard" test for the spine is a CT/Myelogram with contrast.  On my last L2/L3 foraminal stenosis fix, the doc next did a pain injection (under fluoroscopy) to the exact area he suspected the problem. Got some relief...he was pleased...pinpointed the surgical site.

Then he did a one-level LLIF fusion.  This is LATERAL procedure from the side...no rails and screws from the back (TLIF fusion). Best kept secret in spine surgery.  Search YouTube for "globus lateral" for a cute animation.  Replaces the bulging or calcified disk with an expandable spacer.  The best part: one night in the hospital; no brace, no rehab.  The magic bullet...see the picture...the LLIF device is right above my L3-S1 TLIF rails.

If your doc feels that a one-level fusion is your answer, find someone with LLIF experience.  What a Godsend...

• Posted

Hi Chico Marx, thanks for the reply it's much appreciated. I'll look into the items you have described.  Here's my full MRI report.

MRI Report – 02/1/2017:

Normal thoracic cord, conus and cauda quina. At C5-6 there is cervical spondylosis with an osteophytic disc bar. No axial images have been obtained at this level. There is minor loss of height of T4 and T5 with no acute bone oedema.

There is disc degeneration from T4 – 5 to T7-8 with endplate changes and minor disc bulges but no cord or nerve root impingement. Further disc degeneration with endplate change only noted from T10 – 11 to L1-2. There is degeneration of the L5/S1 disc with a circumferential disc bulge.

There is bilateral facet joint degeneration at L4-5 and L5/S1 more pronounced on the left at the latter. Normal central canal and neural foramina throughout with no focal nerve root impingement at any level. There are bilateral pars defects (Spondylolysis) at the L5/S1 level with no

displacement/spondylolisthesis.

Conclusion

There is multilevel thoracolumbar disc and facet joint degeneration as described with no evidence of cord or nerve root impingement at any level.  Bilateral par defects without slip are noted at L5/S1

• Posted

Another of my examples...  Severe sciatic pain for months.  Tried chiropractor, PT, pain shots...nothing.  Went to my neurosurgeon...MRI was not definitive.  Didn't see anything major but something was definitely wrong.

Once he went in, he found a bone spur literally "crushing" (his description) my sciatic nerve root at L4.  Simple laminectomy to remove the spur and shave off a bit of the calcified disk at L4/L5 just to make sure the nerve was free and clear.  Same day surgery, pain gone...

You never know...

• Posted

I think you might be onto something with the bone spur thing, it maybe pushing on my nerves causing the problem
  • Posted

Most likely this is the cause. Are disc have thousands of tiny nerves in . I was told the same as u but clearly I did have nerve impingment . MRI are very good but u also need a ct . InfAct it wasn't till my surgeon did spinal fusion 10 wks ago, that he said to me afterwards lots of nerves were been impinged. Sometimes it's hard to say even from MRI . Good luck. 

• Posted

I keep getting told that I have no impingement based on the MRI findings but I'm telling you I know there is. I've been sent to physio, pain clinics and other doctors and not once along this journey have I been sent to a neurologist until now, hopefully the neurologist will take me seriously and instead of feeding me amitriptyline to block the signals we might actually find the cause. Thanks for your reply Jess

• Posted

My first consultant was a orthopaedic he plamed me of until he had no choice as I was rushed in to AE . Finally removed 3/4 ofl4l/5 disc s. Then 2016 problems reacurred plamed of by a rheumatologist this time . Went on for 6 months went back to GP begged him to send me to a private hospital to see a neurosurgeon best thing I did . I still have issues because of fibromyalgia ect. But don't regret it. All paid for by nhs . My mates in the same boat. She's followed my advice and from seeing the neurosurgeon to be operated on she's waited 10 weeks not bad compared to nhs hospital s.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.