Leg ulcer

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a healthy slightly over weight 40 year old man. I have had and currently have an ulcer my left shin. It began over 4 years ago. I have been many times to many different doctors from Edmonton AB, Victoria BC,Vancouver BC, Toronto On. But yet no difference in healing. I maintain a good diet, socially consume alcohol, and recently quit smoking. I always wear compression socks, but it continues to drain mostly clear yellowish. I would greatly appreciate any advice or clinic that can help...

Thank you

Christian

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This is called serum and is the body's way of cleansing and healing the wound bed of your ulcer.. Providing there is no smell or sloughy pus and it is not infected the ulcer should become pink and shiny which is known as granulation.. Keep it covered.. Apply some Vaseline impregnated netting or invading povidone squares if it is too mucky.. You may need a compression bandage over the top.. Then your sock. Change dressing daily. Depends on the type of ulcer you have.. Venous ulcers can be very slow to heal due to circulation .. And where they are situated on the leg..
    • Posted

inadine povidone squares patches only place on the ulcer not Good skin..can be left in place for upto two days..
  • Posted

that must be a very painful place to have an ulcer.Have you tried silver plasters? Mine was only small but caught early and my hospital in England applied  these plasters on my ulcer and it has now completely healed within weeks.  I also wear compression socks..  I notice you live in Canada.  My family in the USA tell me they are used a great deal over there. Hope you soon cure yours.
    • Posted

Silver is used in The UK a lot too but very expensive..
    • Posted

CHRONIC WOUNDS

e.g. diabetic foot ulcers, venous leg ulcers, arterial leg/foot ulcers, pressure ulcers

Localised infection Spreading infection

New, increased or altered pain:

Delayed (or stalled) healing

Periwound oedema

Bleeding or friable granulation tissue

Distinctive malodour or change in odour

Wound bed discolouration

Increased, altered or purulent exudate

Induration

Pocketing or bridging

As for localised chronic infection, plus:

Wound breakdown

Erythema extending from the wound edge

Crepitus, warmth, induration or discolouration spreading into periwound area

Lymphangitis

Malaise or non-specific deterioration in the patient’s general condition

SYSTEMIC INFECTION†

Sepsis:

documented infection with pyrexia or hypothermia, tachycardia, tachypnoea, raised or depressed white blood cell count

Severe sepsis:

sepsis and multiple organ dysfunction

• Posted

My local NHS hospital treated me with silver plasters and healed it within weeks.  I am eternally grateful for their care.  Although expensiver it must be cheaper than repeated visits and dressings to your lGP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.