Legal high (powders) addiction/withdrawl - help needed.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm about to come a cropper and go through withdrawl because of the legal high ban.  Don't get me wrong I want the ban as it's probably the only way I'd stop.  I'm currently addicted to the research powders, I've managed to stop taking the synthetic cannabis but these powders are terrifically addictive.  Well to me anyway. I take it everyday 3 to 6 grams

So my question is about withdrawl.  I've managed about 5 days before but it wasn't getting a lot better so started again.  What should I expect and for how long roughly? I hold down a job so can't start climbing up the walls there! So have taken 9 days off - do you think that will be enough time for the worst to be over?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am a drugs researcher, and have to let you know that the latest research shows that many synthetic cannabinoids are as physically addicting as heroin. Research has not yet  caught up with what is the best treatment for people hooked on synthetic cannabis (spice/mamba), but what we do know from speaking to spice users who have successfully got off this toxic much is this: (1) you can try slowly reducing your spice smoking - if you are using 6 grams a day, this would mean dropping about a gram every 7 days until you get to about 3 grams a day, then try dropping by a half-gram every 7 days; when you get to one  gram a day, switch to dropping a quarter gram every 7 days, until you get down to none. (2) You will still experience low-level withdrawals (expect some sleepless nights, get a good long novel to read etc) so use OTC symptom-specific meds to deal with other withdrawals (eg. anti-diarhoea meds, paracetamol for body pains, anti-nausea meds, etc.).  (3) some spice users have managed to come off smaller habits - about 1 to 2 grams per day - by switching back to natural cannabis, the stronger the better (eg. skunk), because it will reduce many withdrawals from spice/mamba. (4) if you have a sympathetic GP (suppressed laugh off me) try to get them to prescribe you sleeping pills or benzoes, at least for the last few weeks of your detox, when sleep will become a distant memory. If they won't help, buy whatever you need from the illicit drug scene to get some sleep, because other users who have come off spice have told us that getting some sleep makes all the difference in getting off this crap - but don't end up with another habit on benzoes or whatever, just use what you need to get to sleep for the last couple of weeks. Good luck mate - it can be done, but it will be tough, other people have done it smile
    • Posted

It surprised me how tough it was going to be giving up this stuff! I really don't think that the health service is prepared for the fallout. I can honestly say it was like coming off heroin, I went cold turkey and it brought me to my knees, 6 weeks I think it took before I tasted anything but chemicals and I contemplated suicide about 3 weeks in, sounds dramatic but this stuff is fierce. you're right though, it can be done smile and if we can help as many people as possible along the way
  • Posted

Hi John, see my other comments in this & other substance use topic zones for my account of the available ways of coming off spcie/mamba (synthetic cannabinoids/SCRAs) without getting overwhelming withdrawals (i.e. 2-3 month reduction regime, switching to natural cannabis, using symptom-specific meds, and/or getting your GP to prescribe benzoes and sleeping pills). By the way, when SCRAs are banned on 26th May, they will not go away, but as with other prohibited drugs, their harmful effects will then be maximized. In short, an illicit market will appear online and on streets/pubs/etc., meaning that quality/strength will become even more unpredictable, adulteration with other toxic chemicals will significantly increase, and the price will rise notably. So what we get is the same problem as before, but with adulteration, variable purity and higher prices added. Prohibition is not only ineffective, its counter-productive. Banning drugs does not help people get off them more easily, it makes it harder.  When mephedrone was banned in UK in 2010, problematic use increased. When Ireland banned 'legal highs' a few years ago (i.e. they shut down heashops as we are about to do), their use increased from 16% to 26%. Its called the paradox of prohibition. Prohibition does not work, it just makes thing worse.
    • Posted

Thanks everyone for the advice about synthetic cannabis but I've already been through the rather ordinary experience of stopping that stuff about a year ago.  It was very unpleasant and up there with the worst of substances I've had to come off of.  No sleep, sweating like I was locked in an oven, nausea and massive cravings were the withdrawls weapons of choice. Oh yes, nearly forgot I also had a psychotic episode because of them.

I didn't stop using the party powders though sometimes referred to as bath salts, plant furtilizer etc.  It's this stuff which is a bit like amphetamines I am currently stopping. Just wanted to know if anyone had been through it and what to expect.  So far it hasn't been that bad but that's probably due to the medication I take for the psychosis - aripiprazole and the sertraline I take for my clinical depression.  It's this depression that I've tried all through my life to cope with by taking one substance or another.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.