Legg Calf Perthes - Injection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all me again, Anyone on nhs waiting steroid injection/hip replacement. Been waiting for an injection for 1 year now finally got an appointment for September however the day before I fly out for a business trip.  I naively phoned he appointments line to see if I can reschedule, I can of course however I have to go back on the nhs list and wait approx. 10-12 weeks for an appointment.  I think this is disgraceful, pain is unbearable most days making it difficult for me to move around work and enjoy my evening walks that I used too.  Anyone ever experienced this? Is this normal?

Thanks Lyndsay

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lyndsay. I was diagnosed with Perthes at 5 and was on a combination of crutches and braces until 13. My hip bone healed more like a point, driving my socket up 3/4ths of an inch. I maintained this profound limp until last week when I finally had a full hip replacement. It provided all the relief that shots, icing/heating, and physical therapy couldn’t. I’m a week and a day removed from my surgery as I type this. The incision area is still tender but what struck me was the immediate pain relief I felt in my hip. I’m on a walker for another week then on a cane for at least 2 more, all while doing physical therapy but I’m on the other side of this and the feeling is life-changing. Plus, my limp is gone! I actually gained an inch in height. Not that you asked, but try to be in the best condition you can be in pre surgery, and do as much to strengthen the upper body as possible. If I hadn’t taken some advice before my surgery and done just that I’d be in a world of hurt. Anyway, cheers to you and I hope you’re eventual replacement goes as well as mine has.
  • Posted

Hi Lyndsay I have have had my pre-assessement last week and am now waiting for my pre-op appointment. How awful that you have to wait that long. I have not canceled an appointment as of yet. Hope you have your appointment soon. Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.