legs size

Posted , 9 users are following.

i measure my legs and i have like 1.5 inches differences after the operacion

this mean i will limp forever?

i dont want to use lift as i live in a country where is latin meaning half of the year we use flip flps and go to the beach ,,,,

so a lift its not suitable i am young so i want a regular life not be limping for that i could stay with the pain 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

How long has it been since you operation? I thought my operated leg was much longer but when I attended my 6 week check I found it was my pelvis that was twisted. Could this be the case for you as well?

Sarah

• Posted

today is 3 weeks

well this is the second operation if that was the case, i think 

the dr would told me before

• Posted

I have 4cm leg length difference in my legs and have always walked with a limp which gets wkrse whsnn im in pain and struggling to walk. Although i have a lift it doesnt work because they couldnt make a correct height because then i couldnt get my foot in my shoe. They can build up the sole of your shoes to the correct height whicj they can do woth sandals.
    • Posted

so basicly i will have to limp when i am at the beach or inside my house or at the pool

and spend more money for shoes everytime?

• Posted

Sadly yes. Im only 19 and have had to live with this problem all my life. I know it can be hard.
  • Posted

I have a leg length discrepancy as well, so I do understand where you are coming from. Apparently 1cm or 3/8 inch is considered within the range of normal, in western countries, so if you have 1.5 inches your are way outside the normal for post surgery discrepancy. In my case because the Dr's were denying I had a problem when I kept telling them something was wrong, I just felt wrong, I had a "LONG LEG X-RAY" done, its where they x-ray you from the waist to the floor, and only a limited amount of clinics do it, they then compare all your measurements in both legs, and write a report for you, it doesn't matter if your pelvis is twisted, they are only looking at the length of each bone. Your have to search it out, and specifically ask for the Long Leg x-ray. You said you measured your legs, impossible to do an accurate measurement yourself, you need to at the very least get a physiotherapist to measure you, they know what points to measure you from. Simple measurement, to do yourself, you will need help to do this, on a bench or table lie down on your back, pull your knees up, keeping your heels on tthe bench, slide your heels as close as you can get to you bum, get somebody else to check you are lying straight, and your legs are also in a straight line with the rest of your body, don't break your 90 degree bending rule, if you have been given added length during your THR your knees will not be even, looking down your body, good measruement to demostrate to Dr's as well, and ask the question shouldn't my knees be the same height, they were before surgery, it was a Dr who demonstrated the lying on your back, and heels to bum measurement for me.
  • Posted

Hi Moi,

dont worry too much yet. My op leg seemed much longer for the first few months after my op. It's because the muscles and ligaments in your bottom and around your hip have to mend. You can't really tell until about a year after. Mine is only about a cm different now and I can walk without a limp but I am aware of the difference and just have to be a bit careful. Hope it works out for you ok.

• Posted

Apparently everyone has around 1cm difference. Im slightly envious haha. When i get my thr my surgeon has to see try and move my hips down because iv got 4cm difference. I hope it works
    • Posted

Hi Moi

Just sending greetings, and agreeing with Elizabeth that it's too early to be sure....

i've just been to an Alexandra Technique lesson, good for regaining strength and posture, and both legs are now exactly the same length now at 8 months. Now, at 1 month there was a1.5 inch difference in length, but all got settled down.

so, hope it all works out for you

Warmly

mic

Exeter, Devon.

• Posted

I think you should ask your surgeon to check.

He checked mine at 4 weeks. Try not to worry

till you see him.

Cathie

• Posted

hi  moi.

It is too early, really - and how did you measure it - were your legs the same length before the surgeries ?   according to my surgeon legs are now same lenght (after 2nd THR) - it doesn't feel that way yet - but I have been walking so crooked and bend over for so long - 

just be mindful when you are walking and try not to worry too much until you have seen your surgeon at follow up appointment -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

hello ye they were, 

and i havent been that long

i am afraid that i will need a second operation just because i will not agree to limp as i am single 38year old and this will take out part of my life,

plus usually limping  gets you to knee problems, lower back problems and so and so

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.