Legs swelling

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone exprience swelling of their legs is it water tention because there are times my legs are okay then their are time they swell up why is this please let me know

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Legs swelling can mean several things. This is one of those things that most likely is a peri issue, but better to visit the doc to be sure. I feel swollen on and off, most notably in the legs, but also all over.

I have had a thorough check up (ha! believe me I've seen several docs in past year! I feel like hypochondriac at times!) and this particular issue for me is weight gain and at times, temporary water retention.

Best to check it out first to be sure. wink

Annie xx 

• Posted

I agree about seeing the doctor. I noticed that my Dr looks at me strangely when i tell him about all this. He says I'm okay my i don't feel like I am OK

• Posted

Key reason -"he". They simply don't get it, I swear!

I suppose if I wasn't going through all this myself, I wouldn't understand. I have girlfriends that simply woke up one day, no more periods and that was that for them. Happy that they missed all this, but sad because at times I feel like a nut. Thank heavens for this site! biggrin

• Posted

Yes, i have that too. I have no idea how to address it. Wow i though the it was just me. I swear I have all 50 symptoms of menopause. Lol
  • Posted

Is it just your ankles - and to they go down if you put your legs up? Are you taking a medicine called amlodipine for blood pressure as that can cause swollen ankles? I think you should see your GP for a check up.
    • Posted

I use to be on Amlodipine, I'm on losartan for blood pressure and other medications. The swelling did go down because I had them up all night. 

I have had a little bit of pain on my left side I don't know if it is gas pain but when I move a certain way it is painful have you ladies ever had that

• Posted

Hi, my lower legs are quite often swollen and really red and sore especially around the ankles. The GP does not seem to worry about them, but they are really uncomfortable. Not sure why I get it but I work part-time in an office and sit quite a lot which I am sure does not help. Try some water tablets and sit with feet up which I find helps. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Susan - I have recently been told I am going through menopause with high FSH and get the weirdest things happening.  Last week my ankles felt a bit stiff, they sometimes do and over the years, have been known to puff up a little bit at times.  Anyway over the ankle bone on the outside of the foot, the swelling increased and it felt like my enitre legs had water retention.

I visitied my GP and he just said it's edema, put my feet up and move around more and it will go away, if not you need support stockings!!  I went home and by morning, the water swelling had gone.

Two days later I had a period - which I have not had for 6 weeks.  I am going to assume this is hormone related water retention even though my GP dismissed it - seems a bit of a coincidence to me.  I hope it isn't long term and I hope you get some relief

• Posted

Hiya Susan my left leg and ankle has been swelling on and off for over a year now. At times it gets really big when I lay down for the night swelling goes down. About a year ago went to my GP for some other issues and mention my swelling. He decided to do blood work he did a cmp panel I think that's what its called it checks functions of liver, kidney,etc he also checked thyroid. I have a under active thyroid. I still go on monthly basis for blood work still adjusting dosage its almost where it should be but not yet. I mention to him I still had the swelling his only answer was maybe its my thyroid issue.
    • Posted

I understand I have a low thyroid myself I am on Levothyroxine and vit d3 because that was low am on diabetes medication, one blood pressure medication, zoloft, ativan three times daily, and trazodone for bed 

They said my thyroid is normal 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.