Length of sick leave after bunions surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I had operation on both feet to remove bunions about 8 weeks ago ; still off work and feet swollen and painful ; it id very difficult to walk even with trainers and very slow !

Dur to go back to work mid april but worried i wont be quite ready , am a teacher and stand most of the day and walk between buildings of school and also going up lots of stairs !

Has anyone got experience of this , is it me who should ask gp for sick leave extension ?

Thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Chris. Eight weeks is early in recovery. I too had bilateral surgery and at weeks 7 couldn't get a man's trainer on due to swelling. It does get better and by week 10 am able to wear skechers memory foam go walk the slip on type. I still have some pain underneath one foot but the skechers are easy to wear. I didn't go to physio therapy, my consultant showed me how to do some toe exercises. He has done such a brilliant job I trusted his judgement, he knew what he had done, so followed the advice. You can find some of the exercises by searching you tube. They're mainly to gain movement and flexibility, obviously this will depend on the type of surgery you have had, mine was scarf and akin. I think you may need a phased return to work. I think your employer should understand that you have had major surgery to both feet and it takes a long time to fully recover, I was told there can be some swelling for up to a year. I am now 4 months on, feet still a bit swollen but my surgeon says recovery is where it should be. It's been difficult but am so pleased I have had it done and all my symptoms will disappear with time.

• Posted

Hi Chris I am in week 7 recovery following bilateral hallucinating valgus scarf and akin osteotimy. I didn realise how debilitating it is and was beginning to wonder if I would walk properly again so it is reassuring to read other people's recovery. I went back to work week 6 it was way too early as I realised after day 1!! But my colleagues have looked after me very well. My foot balloons like a pigs trotter at the end of the day. I'm due to have my right foot done later on the year I couldn face it all again too soon and will be better prepared. As I say it is so reassuring to hear of other people's recovery. By mid April your foot will have healed more but I doubt you will be able to spend long periods weight bearing on it.
  • Posted

Hi Chris it's really interesting to me to read your about your experience.  Unlike my experience it appears that your surgeon explained everything to you fully, hence you were prepared for length of time needed for recovery.  Can I ask you is your swelling in the ball of your foot as well as the pain and do you have pins and needles in your big toe? My bunion is also sticking out more than it was straight after the op, have you found this?  I am 14 weeks post op and am due to go back for X-ray in a couple of weeks but fear the bunion is beginning to reappear.

thanks 

Gill

• Posted

Sorry those questions was to Sandalz
    • Posted

Gill

Sorry to hear your bunion is not looking as straight after the op.  Mine look exactly the same and the clinical correction is very good.  At least you are going for X-rays so there may be some answers to this.

The pain and swelling is under the ball of my feet, the right being worse.  This maybe because I am right-handed and put more pressure of this foot when recoverying, especially as the left was always the worse of the bunions to start with. 

No do not really have pins and needles in the my big toes but they do still feel a bit numb but this is improving slowly.  I think it takes a long time to recover fully from this operation.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I'll keep you all updated after god X-ray.
  • Posted

Hi there. I am a post woman and have a similar problem.

I can barely walk 9 weeks post op for little toe

bunion and 4 the and 5th toe straightening.

My surgeon said 8 to 10 weeks recovery.

I feel very worried because I cannot even walk to my corner

shop 30 yards away.

Expected back at work in 2 weeks????

Can't drive, can't walk, can't go back to work!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.