Length of Treatment

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, I have been taking 10mg citalopram for almost 2 months now and I feel like I'm really starting to feel the benefits of it. People closest to me who know what I went through are really seeing a difference in me but annoyingly they are now starting to ask me when I'm going to stop taking the tablets and saying things like 'you don't want to rely on them forever!' I was just happy to not feel like the world was collapsing around me for a few weeks but now I'm wondering what if I DO have to rely on these drugs forever? The only side effects I have now are tiredness and some very annoying sexual side effects but both of these I can live with and the benefits currently outweigh the negatives for me. I'm happy to keep going im thinking for at least 6 months. I know it's probably a very personal thing but I guess my question is how long do people usually stay on it before trying to reduce and is it harder to come off the longer you have been taking it?! How do you know if you still need them or not?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Talk to the GP first. I would NOT listen to well meaning friends. Trust that YOU feel better. It saved my life and minor side effects are irrelevant to me
  • Posted

Hi

Usually just a reader here. I was diagnosed with sarcoids 3 years ago. This was also the beginning of my head problems. I have been on and of cit since then. I want downhill 2 months ago and went back on 20mg of cit. I have been lucky this time. A little sickness for a couple of days and yawning for cornwall. 2 months on I feel much better with a few minor hiccups. I have faced facts. I need help and cit is the answer. I no longer fear the fact that I may be on the for some time. On the sex thing. I am male and haven't finished for ages. Having said that, my partners having a great time😊

• Posted

On and of. I thought I new better that the doc and came of when I thought I was better. I was wrong. I am staying on this time.
    • Posted

Whatever woprks Terry buddy!! glad your doing well you have a great attitude too if you have to stay on them so be it thats how I am looking at it also I would prefer I didnt but if I find I fall back into the hole again after I come off then I will go back no second thought all the best !!
  • Posted

I've taken these for 15 years ..... you can stay on them for life if you need to.  People take medication for epilepsy, diabetes, heart problems ... depression is no different.  It's an illness, and if you need medication to help, then take it.  Why do people remark on others taking medication?  I've heard this so often ...... 'oh I wouldn't take meds, I'd deal with it myself' etc etc.  Well I'd like to see you try I always say.

Dont listen to other people - you take the medication for as long as you need to.  I reduced mine to the lowest possible dose I felt I could manage on and stayed like that for years.  Eventually I came off the meds, but sadly restarted last year due to the stress of family illness.

If however you decide to stop them in the future, may I suggest the following:

When you're off Citalopram try a natural SSRI called 5-HTP which needs to be taken with l-tyrosine.  Both can be bought from Holland & Barrett (if you're in the UK) and you need to take them both.  Read a book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray ........ it's a really interesting read.

You need to be off SSRI's completely before starting 5-HTP as they mustn't be taken together.K x

• Posted

Hi Melmo, To put this in perspective for you! You should stay on them for as long as you feel necessary and in line with what your doc says . Your friends and family will always think drugs/meds shouldn’t be long term however with this Serotonin uptakes they are gradual and take months to work I have heard the longer the intake the less chance of relapse? so I would think it’s better for you, family and friends the process is longer rather than shorter ! I wouldn’t feel rushed or guilty for taking them in excess of 6 months. My mother started taking citalopram in 1995 following a heart attack and she is still on them because her doc said she has a better quality of life ? so I guess don’t let your family dictate when and if you take meds. Take care keep smiling J
  • Posted

Hi... to anyone who was following this thread because they were interested in the mention of 'sexual side effects,' I just wanted to pop back on with the update that now on my 4th month on 10mg, the problems I mentioned above have started to improve massively. It was the last thing to go but it's finally started to settle down now and get back to normal. Don't know if this happens for everyone but I just wanted to give a bit of hope to anyone who was worried about this as I was scared I'd never quite be the same again!!
    • Posted

Hi Melmo, I'm glad things are on the up and up for you smile
  • Posted

So great to hear you are doing well Melmo. I am pushing through week six on 10mg, and so happy to hear that although it may take a while, it has done the trick for you. Keep posting, it really is so encouraging, and well done! Lee.
  • Posted

Hi Melmo30,

I wouldnt worry about what other people are saying, as they don't know the full details of the tablets.

You will of course over time feel great and most likely want to come off them but only you, yourself will now when you are ready so make sure you do it for yourself and no one else.

I know when I first started taking them minor side effects but over time, they will go as you body gets used to them fully, as around 6 - 8 weeks is when this will roughly happyn, as it did for me.

I myself take 40mg a day and I know how you feel about being unsure when to stop taking the tablets, but remember to cut back slowly so for example go down from 10mg to 5mg a day for 3 - 4 weeks then try 5mg every other day for 3 - 4 weeks again then stop.

I wouldn't rush yet as you have only really just started and people often stay on the tablets for around a year.

You doing well though and the fact you can talk about this, shows you are feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Melmo

Though I've replied to others here on your thread, I thought I'd comment on your post too.

You can stay on these meds for life if you need to, they're not addictive, and if you needs meds, then so be it.  I took these initially for 15 years and lowered my dose during this time.  People take life long meds for all ailments ie epilepsy, diabetes etc, and depression/anxiety is no different.  It's an illness like any other.  Ok maybe not life threatening, but it certainly makes our lives not worth living some times.

Ive also had comments made ie 'I wouldn't take antidepressants, I'd cope with it without' or 'I would rely on pills'.  My answer is simply 'well I'd like to see you try and don't comment on issues you have no experience of'.  I also point out how people take lifelong meds for other ailments and remind them that depression is a horrendous illness and nothing like feeling flat, blue, fed up.

If you're happy in the meds, then stay on them.  Another alternative is to reduce them and see if you can maintain your wellness on a lower dose which worked for me.

Lowering your meds will also show you if you do need them for a bit longer as you'll start to feel 'not quite right'.  Reduce them 5mg at a time though to avoid any, or lessen, unwanted side affects.

I'm now maintaining my well being at 5mg.

Have a read of my posts where I talk about 5-HTP and l-tyrosine.  A good natural alternative for anyone deciding to come off meds.

One last thing - apparently the longer you're on meds, the less likely your illness is to return (though doesn't work with everyone).

K x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate it! This drug has made a huge difference to my life and I'm not in a huge rush to come off. Il definitely keep going for now and just re evaluate very few months... Take it as it comes. That seems to be the only way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.