Lens replacement a 2nd time? Or yag?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I had multifocal lens 3 months ago. My distance vision is not that great. I have been given glasses which does improve a lot. I'm told with a laser enhancement op this is the vision they hope to achieve for me. On going for an appointment today i was told I have protein cell build up on both eyes. This HAS to be removed via yag laser op before any laser enhancement can be done. Well after reading about yag I became aware that once yag has been performed you can not easily ever replace your lens should u need too. I asked my optical advisor why would anyone wish to do this. I thought the lens were for life. She said occasionally some people may not adapt to the multifocal lens 4 example night vision could be blighted by glare halis starbursts. Well this is what I get badly. It's affecting my life where by I avoid darkness driving at all cost.

Iv been advised to consider doin lens replacement again and having monofocal lens as risk of glare halo etc much less.

I'm Terrify ed to even consider having to put my precious eyes through that again and all the what ifs? ? My job involves night driving. So this is in jeopardy. I'm 45 years old. The thoughts of rest of my life being so restricted by the difficult night driving is awful. It's zapped my confidence. Is there anyone who's done lens replacement and then also done it again?? Is it worth doing or just too risky. My recovery in vision took 3 months this time. Hav app mon discuss with surgeon my options. Any advice welcomed. So scared again.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had lens replacement surgery just ove a week ago. Left eye perfect the next day. My right (dominant) eye blurred and not improved in the week. I have terrible halos at night on the road and need to drive at night but fear it is dangerous. I had a stigmatism and without glasses my eyes grew very tired. My eyes still feel tired. The idea of the surgery was to never wear glasses again and to have good vision. Currently I have poor vision, and halos.

They said that only 3% of patients had these problems. And that it will be easy tocorrect any problems with ;laser eye surgery. From what you're saying this may not be the case. 

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

Like you from day one I had all the problems you have. But no know one gave me the right information about yag laser. 

So a lens was replaced in one eye which left me with more scar tissue so seeing was difficult I was told I needed yag laser I had no choice. 

Three days later I needed yag laser in my other eye because my vision was cloudy..two years. 

On the plus side all the problems I had halow star burst had gone. I met other people having yag it's because reading is become more difficult. 

My lens was multifocal it was replaced was a bifocal now I need reading glasses. 

What you are not told,is when you have your lens replaced you may have scar tissue. 

And you may need a second operation yag laser. 

My brother and a friend needed yag laser after two to three years as reading was getting harder. 

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Wendy,  What did you end up doing?  I had an IOL exchangeamd I am considering another one because of dysphotopsia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.