Lenses to help with nighttime glare

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had the Symfony lenses implanted in both eyes. I have bad nighttime vision issues   I thought about exchanging them but don't want to risk the uncertain. My daytime vision is excellent. I still can drive at night. I just keep my eyes on the road ahead  and don't look at the headlights. I just heard of the Zeiss Drivesafe glasses. Has anyone heard of these. They are supposed to reduce the glare my 66 percent. Would love to try them but don't want to waste money. Hers a link. 

[b]https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/en_us/products/eyeglass-lenses/drivesafe-lenses[b].html

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I find the same problem but am hoping the cataract removal is going to help (I'm on week 4 post surgery). Before the surgery I bought polaroid sunglasses to help with glare from when the sun is low in the autumn and of course summer protection too. I am hoping my optician can suggest anti glare measures when I go for my test.

• Posted

I don't have an answer to your question.

I have to decide whether or not I will have symfony lens implanted in my second eye. (already in first)  While I am happy with my right eye symfony - except for the annoying starbursts at night- I am reluctant to have a left eye symfony when it seems I can have either a distance monovision to temper the starbursts, or I can have a near monovision to enable more confortable reading.  Do you feel now that you would have preferred a different second lens?

• Posted

At the beginning I was really annoyed with the starbursts but as I said I don't panic about them like I did in the beginning. That being said I don't drive alot at night but I'm not afraid to do so. I love my daytime vision so I would not trade that but if you can achieve it by using a different lens in the second eye without the starbursts I guess that would be something to consider. Many years ago I had a detached retina in one eye so vision in there is a little off even before the lenses. I wanted both eyes working for all distances  just in case of ever loosing vision in one eye. I know these are hard decisions because there's really know right answer. 

• Posted

I had Zeiss Trifocal lenses put in over three years ago and I too found nighttime driving a bit of a problem for the same reasons as you. But over time I've got used their various disadvantages as the advantages outweigh these (I no longer need glasses except when reading in dim light). And like you I just concentrate on the road and don't look directly into headlights. In any case, many people who still have their natural lenses complain of glare from SUVs especially those which have intensely bright headlights.

I tried the Zeiss Drivesafe glasses but found they made barely any difference - at least not enough to have warranted paying the rather high price for them. They now sit in my glove compartment, unused.

• Posted

I am not sure anything will help.  My surgeon sent me to a wonderful optometrist to see if he had any ideas that would help it -- which seemed strange to me because the problem is endemic to the lens itself.  Heck, it's in the manufacturer's warnings.  I was never told this could be an effect.  As a result, I will NOT have another symphony lens put in my dominate eye -- I will use a standard monofocal.  A contact lens in my dominate eye, presently, tamps down the concentric circles and starbursts enough to make driving manageable.  Like, you I thought it best to find a way to cope rather than risk two surgeries to take the Symfony out.  While the surgeon never discussed the possibility of doing this in the prime window to have it done, I did discuss it with my optometrist, who had proffered it to the surgeon.  I guess the surgeon just didn't want to admit that the problem was as bad as it is.  Sorry, Maria that you are dealing with this, too.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.