Lercanidipine How Long to kick in

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi

i have an operation in 2 weeks time. which will be cancelled if my blood pressure remains high. doc put me on Lercanidipine 10mg once a day. how long does it take work. its day for and seen no change. worried about having my op cancelled sad  last reading was 169/99

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Blood pressure medicine from my experience works right away. Sometimes the doctor will add another medicine that works by a different mechanism
  • Posted

A lot of it is probably related to stress and worry over the operation. Same thing happened to me while waiting for an operation and dr increased my dose which didn't help much. Surgeon said she'd only worry if it got over 200. After surgery BP went back to normal and my dose was reduced again.

• Posted

That's not that high compared to mine and I've had three long surgical procedures.

I was led to believe that your BP drops when you are unconscious or that the Anaesthetist has drugs that he can use to bring it down.

• Posted

That has also been my experience.  The surgeon said the anesthesiologist could bring down my blood pressure if necessary.  It was not necessary, but I was reassured by knowing thisl
  • Posted

Calcium channel blockers tend to work fairly quickly but dont reach their maximum effect for about two weeks. It is cutting it fine really. Whenever people start on BP lowering drugs they often need the dose or drug adjusting to get it right and this needs to be done fairly slowly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.