Less is more

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 75 years old recovering from a motorcycle accident that took the life of my husband. The Dr put me on 10mg of citalopram and the side effects were aweful. Nausea ,couldn't concentrate , morning sickness symptoms, and always sleepy but couldn't sleep. At the suggestion of my pharmacist I cut back to 5mg and things are getting much better. I'm sure I will move up to 10mg in a while but starting low and slow seems to be working best for me now. The pharmacist told me that geriatric patients should always go low and slow with most meds. I'm glad I listened to him.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria, I'm so sorry to here of your loss but glad your on the mend, please keep us posted as to how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi Maria

I worked my way up to 15 where I stayed for 5 months and it was well worth it as I'm back to my normal self now and actually weani g down and are on 5 after been on them 8 months it takes time but you will get there in time. Hope you start feeling better soon I had the nausea and loss of appetite no sleep etc but it gets better

• Posted

I am so sorry for such a devastating loss

No wonder you feel dreadful

The side effects are dreadful at first which is what you were experiencing along with the impact a loss created

However it is very true that even over 65 the recomended initial dose is lowered and they are quite right about the 5 mg being worth a try

That's good they could help and support you

It may be all you need

Don't rush just because you think you should.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.