Less than 2 weeks into fluoxetine........struggling.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 9 months ago and after struggling on with the constant panic attacks over nothing/everything and the constant crying and feeling low I decided to bite the bullet and accept the anti depressants offered by the doctor. They said the first few weeks would be tough but I almost cant bare being this was any longer. I can hardly sleep and when I do I have nightmares. Is this normal with depression/anti depressants? I just cant cope. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Just remember it's takes a few weeks to take full effect. . I take ativan to help with my anxiety until my Lexapro kicks in.. be patient and try to stay positive. . What meds are you on? Good luck to you ❌❌❌
    • Posted

Thanks for your response tanya. They gave me pregabalin for just the anxiety but it didnt work for me but thats due to it being depression also, Im now on fluoxetine otherwise known as prozac. I was just about holding myself together at work but since I started them last week thats not been the case. I manage to keep it private but I just cant control the panic attacks. Xxx

• Posted

Sorry tonya....auto corrected to tanya.
    • Posted

Hang in there girl.. It does get better.. There's some good downloads on Google that you can listen to for panic attacks. I listen to mine everyday.. Hugs to you sweetie ❌❌❌
  • Posted

Anti depressants take a while to get into you're system which is very hard because you want help

immediately.

If you feel worse this may be due to the anti depressants. It will stop.

If you feel you can not cope see your GP who may give you CBT or counselling.

Keep going you will get there.

Xxx

• Posted

Yeah they have offered cbt I have a GP appointment in a couple of weeks so I think I may have a chat with her about it in more detail. 

Thanks for your comments ladies its so appreciated smile xxx

• Posted

Hiya... In my experience, the longer you leave itbefore you admit you need the anti depressants, the longer they take to work and the rougher those first few weeks on them are. I took five weeks on fluoxetine this time before i stopped having panic attacks and feeling like there was light at the end of the tunnel! Just take one day at a time, or even a half day and acknowledge and celebrate every milestone even if it is only an hour without anxiety and focus on the positive, you will get there in the end, i promise
    • Posted

Thanks tracie that's really helpful to know. I don't know anyone who's had this illness before so its nice to hear promising words from someone who has been on the same medication for it smile xxx
    • Posted

You are very welcome... We all look after each other here, this forum has been a godsend to me! Anxiety and depression is awful and any one who has never suffered it can't possibly understand what it is like and how debilitating it is... But.... The good news is with the right treatment, support, therapy etc you will feel better soon and you will learn the signs to look out for and what to do to avoid going too far down next time... It really does get better with time and learning how to handle it!
  • Posted

Hi Samantha. 

Ive just started on fluoxetine. Been on them 2 and a half weeks and some days are worse than others. Ive been diagnosed with GAD. It all started 5 years ago when I hurt my neck. Tingling, Pressure , Sharp pains, Sensitive , Creeping awful feelings all over my head. They are worse when anxious but its constantly on my mind. Ive seen numerous doctors, Chiropractors, Physio and so on. Its been going on 5 year now but my anxiety is worse than ever. So low at the moment. Its like I want to jump out of my skin and dont know where I want to be. All because I decided to come off my old meds of Amitriptiline by myself with no weaninh. BAD IDEA..I felt okay for 4 minths then boom. Panic attack city. Please dont be afraid, Im sure it will right itself soon..xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.