Less tolerant of alcohol??

Posted , 12 users are following.

So, I love red wine, but sometimes(not all the time)I wake up from sleep with a rapid heart beat even only after one glass. This started a couple of years ago.  I was just wondering if this could be menopause related. It does seem worse if I have also overindulged in food too, but come on...one glass of wine???  Very frustrated, but thinking of giving up drinking all together as the feeling of my heart racing is not pleasant!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes! This has been my world for many years. I get rapid heart rate or sometimes it feel irregular. It started in my 20's bit for worse when I was in my 40's. I take a beta blocker. The Dr. said it's just the way I'm made. Nothing to worry about. But over doing it with food or alcohol definitely makes it worse. And wven one glass of red wine will do it. Theres no answer other than to drink it early. Not before going to bed. Like about 2 hours or so before bed. My husband says alcohol helps him sleep but it makes it harder to sleep for me. And ot might make him sleep but it sure makes him snore! 😁

• Posted

Thanks Becky.  i had the wine aftr work today at about 3 and then symptoms about 830 or 9.  I think you are right in saying that its probably the way we are made...i was hoping oncce this  menopause stuff stopped tht it woudl get better...but alas, i can't blame everything on meno!! smile

• Posted

I don't think it's menopause related.  I think that it's the red wine.  Some people are allergic to the sulphites in red wine. (Not sure I'm spelling it properly.) But some red wines don't contain sulphites, so that might be why it doesn't happen all the time.  

• Posted

Thanks Linda, i think you are right.  I will try to find a wine with no sulphites and see if that helps, but at this point i almost dont want to risk it.
    • Posted

You're welcome; good luck with that.  Also, I seem to recall that a glass is 4 ounces or less, not much!  smile

• Posted

Ok then I definitely had 2 glasses. It was a rather large pour. Who ever would have thought that a glass was 4 ounces???😱

• Posted

Awful, isn't it.  I think when they tell you that red wine is good for you, they should also tell you how much you ought to be drinking! Then, they'll say that excess is bad; but not what excess is.  

I know of someone who won't give up her red wine in the evenings.  Though it's got to the point where she can't lose weight, and in fact is gaining!  She says it's for her health.  I worry about her, but there's little I can do. And she drinks about a half a bottle a night, more if she's upset.  sad

• Posted

this happened to me a few yrs ago too. so uncomfortable that i hardly drink anymore. just 1 drink will make my heart start pounding. my cardio nurse said drimk a lot of water in between drinks and it will help

getting older sucks and im only 42!

• Posted

Hi, I was getting this with just a couple sips of rose` wine. I definitely think it's related to your hormones fluctuating and would recommend you quit drinking alcohol of any type until you're no longer experiencing symptoms. Also, don't over indulged, eat up to 80% full to avoid it from happening. However, if it continues, it's best to get an ekg to rule out anything. Also, are you taking any meds or herbs or vitamins? I ask because drinking can have side effects if you mix it any these above even if you take it hours apart. 

• Posted

yes ladies, i heard in particular st johns wort doesn't mix well with alcohol.

• Posted

Hi I also love my red wine but had to give it up since due to menopause I couldn't tolerate it anymore it caused me to wake up also with racing heart and extreme flushes it also caused me to have gastritis flare ups ..I tolerate light beer okay but wine is out for me now 😞

• Posted

Yup I have gastritis for the first time in my life.  I have had an EKG and Stress echo and everything is fine....I had not had a drink in over a month due to the gastritis.  Its just so disappointing, but I will learn to live with it.  I did a wine tour in portugal this past April and drank everyday with no problem....but had just 1 last night with lots of water before during and after and got the tachycardia....makes no sense.  I guess im in mourning...i never drank a lot but loved a glass of wine or a martini on Fridays after the work week was over or with dinner....

• Posted

hi I dont drink red wine its vodka or Bacardi but i am going through the peri and i have noticed that i cant tolerate alcohol now. I may be go out two/ three times a year and will have about three shorts max weather its the peri or the meds im on i dont know but i would rather have a cup of tea or coffee. i cant touch these alcopop things just two sips sets my heart racing x

• Posted

Yeah, sadly with me it's any alcohol but especially wine. Small amounts cry and earlier in the evening seems to help.  Dull isn't it?

• Posted

yes it is dull indeed!!!  Never had this problem until 2 years ago.  Bummed about it but i will do what i need to do in order not to go through that rapid heart beat in the middle of the night again!

• Posted

If it only happens when you drink, then the obvious answer isn't a good one but i guess you have to stop. If it happens at other times, a beta blocker helps regulate it. I take a very small dose and it works wonders. I do think it's a good idea to check with the doctor either way just to be sure.

• Posted

yes ladies, i too am a red wine lover. i also take a beta blocker - importantly in the morning not evening (for anxiety). i only drink alcohol on a saturday evening - usually a nice bottle of red, & don't have a problem. but alcohol is a stimulant so although it makes us feel relaxed & sleepy, we don't actually sleep as well as if we hadn't had a drink. i definately find i have a better sleep the rest of the week when i don't drink, but i still like a saturday night to feel like a saturday night with a bottle of wine & takeaway with my hubby & a good film!  also palps/rapid heartbeats randomly are a common meno symptom, so red wine being a stimulant probably enhances this symptom - feeling it more physically.  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.