Lesser and lesser periods

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I'ma 29 year old female. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid a few months back and was put on Thyroxine. I had no symptoms of thyroid except weight gain. So far my periods have been absolutely normal and regular since it started. After taking thyroxine, my hair started to shed a lot, skin started to feel dry and flaky, I became extremely moody and lethargic and things kept getting worse. I went for a second opinion. I had a bunch of tests done. I was told that it is a Vitamin D deficiency and to stop thyroxine. I still have a slightly swollen thyroid gland, although not noticeable. I have started losing weight gradually, but noticeably. my skin and hair feel normal again. But the worst hit were my periods. When I started taking thyroxine, it almost stopped. Except a little stopping nothing ever happened. It was still on time and was accompanied with severe cramps, as usual. But it has been 2 months since i stopped Thyroxine and my periods a not at all how they used to be. They are extremely less and I don't know what to do. The doctors are playing trial and error with my body. I hate it. I hate the side effects of every medicine they give. No one is accurately diagnosing me. I'm to get married soon and would like to have a family. Any help anyone?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Priscilla, the best way to get your system back on track is acupuncture. A good TCM peactitioner can also recommend herbs to hasten your recovery.

As for the thyroid disease, you dodged a bullet for the moment. Sounds like you’re probably in the early stages of thyroid disease. You’ve experienced the meds. They are not bioidentical do they don’t work. Docs just let the disease progress until you’re super desperate- enough to take the meds.

There are many steps you can take to curb thyroid disease and even achieve remission.  Essential amino acids, glutenfree Paleo diet, supplements, acupuncture...

• Posted

Thank you so much Catherine. I'm on a gluten free diet as of now. It's helping me in shedding those extra kilos. I really don't want to take medicines for all my life. I will try acupuncture. 

• Posted

An under active thyroid does that to the periods....you are so young. As Catherine said a gluten free diet, cut the sugars, invest in good supplements, lots of vegetables....except cabbage. Exercise and try to control your weight. I have monthly shots of B12 injected, taking vitamin D.....go out in the sun. Moisturize daily your skin, invest in good quality shampoos, conditioners and masks...I use Kerastase, they are not cheap but so worth it.

Try to eat organic if you can, no processed food....boil, grill, bake and fry less.

• Posted

What were your thyroid function tests results. Have you had your iron and serum ferritin levels done? How about your Vit B12 and serum folate? People with thyroid problems usually have deficiencies in the above. Also you have to take Vit D with Vit K2 and with a fatty food. Vit D is very important for thyroid function. Once you get your Vit D levels up then she most likely will retest your thyroid levels. If you want to start a family you must have your thyroid in proper function because pregnancy puts a big demand on the thyroid. Plus if you're on thyroid replacement you would have to.be monitored throughout your pregnancy and increase your thyroid meds up to 50% more or your baby could suffer mental and developmental problems if born with hypothyroidism.

• Posted

Hi,

My TSH level is at 11.0. T3, T4 are normal. My haemoglobin, B12, Serum folate, Magnesium, Calcium, Zinc, Vit D and all the other components are normal. I got a full spectrum check up twice over 2 months. I'm not planning to start my family anytime soon. I have stopped my thyroid meds completely. I'm only worried about my periods now. 

• Posted

Thyroid meds never stopped me from having periods every 28 days

with a REALLY heavy flow...I wish I had scanty periods every 28 days. I think of thyroid meds more like a vital hormone that I need to survive. Sometimes I forget how important these pills are. Two months of a thyroid med shouldn't cause any long lasting menstrual changes. They didn't change mine any I would have welcomed a lighter period. Maybe you are iron deficient. Or maybe you have PCOS. Or maybe it's nothing at all. Don't worry so much unless it lasts a long time. Your TSH was 11 and thyroid hormones within range even the Free Ts? Your body is working REALLY hard then to PRODUCE thyroid hormones upon demand. You need to get Vit D levels up to help your stressed thyroid gland. VIT D needs to be taken with VIT K2 and fatty foods to be absorbed properly and help your thyroid function better. Scanty periods should be the least of your worries ....unless it's bc of PCOS.

• Posted

Like I mentioned earlier, My Vit D is back to normal. The rise in TSH was due to the lack of Vitamin D. My TSH levels are down from 21. I neither have PCOS nor an iron deficiency. My periods are very regular too. It's the quantity that is the problem. The thyroid medication would have worked for me IF I actually had a thyroid problem. Since the issue wasn't an under active thyroid hormone and it was just a symptom, the thyroid medication was just toxins I was flooding my body with. I reiterate. My thyroid gland is perfectly fine. 

• Posted

Didn't read that your Vit D was back to normal. Not everyone with vit D deficiency have elevated TSH. Most don't. But thyroid gland needs Vit D. I only mentioned PCOS bc they usually have scanty, but unlike you irregular periods.and it.is very common in ppl w thyroid disorders. Maybe scanty is your new normal now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.