Let me tell you a hemorrhoid story

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi kids. smile

I'm currently 24 days out from a single grade 2 hemorrhoid banding, and since I am sitting on a heating pad with Extra Strength Tylenol coursing through my veins for what seems like the millionth day in a row, I thought I'd take the time out to tell my story on how something that seems not too difficult a problem to take care of has turned into one of the hardest things I've ever gone through.

First things first. When I was a little girl, a long time ago, I developed an anal fissure which hurt a lot. In response to that, I started holding my BMs resulting in an impaction I had to go to the hospital to have taken care of. I remember being very frightened, embarrassed by the procedure, scared of being left by my family at night and humiliated when nurses laughed at me when I finally passed a huge stool.

So I've always had a little love affair with crappy anal problems. I guess it's just one of my "things".

Anything that happens to me these days when I have to go see my colo-rectal surgeon brings back bad childhood memories.

Anyway, 3 years ago I suffered from 3 enlarged internal hemorrhoids and a ring of "impressive" external hemmies. By the time I finally broke down and went to see my doctor (I had never been to see her before this), the external hemms had resolved. But I had to get the internals banded in 3 sessions set 2-3 weeks apart. It wasn't a fun process by any means, but it did the trick. I learned that the process is not even almost "painless" or "quick". But I was in so much discomfort I was happy to have a way to fix it.

I felt better but I always lived with the "what if it happens again" fear in the back of my head. Most days I thought--that was weird--It'll never happen again.

You know what I am going to say next now, don't you?

Back in August, my brother-in-law passed away. It was a very stressful time for me and my sisters. I'm a type A personality, and I tried to shoulder a lot of responsibility for getting things taken care of then. Meanwhile, I ignore my grief. Cue the non-stop upset stomach and diarrhea that took place for weeks. Cue the unfortunate familiar unrest in my butt that felt like someone lit a match in there or like I was carrying a bowling ball down there or like someone kicked me in my butt hard.

I knew my hemorrhoids were flaring. I called my doctor right away--next available appointment was 5 weeks away. So every night until the appointment I was in pain.

Internal hemorrhoids can absolutely hurt. Mine did. Every night. I ended up in the ER one time because my bottom was throbbing. When the doctor did a digital rectal exam, I nearly passed out. It was worth it though, because she prescribed pain killers for me.

So finally I get to my appointment with my surgeon. Everyone who knows what is going on with me is happy the day has finally arrived. I've been in agony for weeks.

My doctor looks up my posterior, informs me I have one grade 2 internal hemorrhoid that is the cause of all this grief and did I want it banded? YES, I said, YES I DO. I heard her tell her assistant that there wasn't much tissue to grab on to, but 2 seconds later I am up and getting dressed and thanking her for helping me.

The next couple of days I deal with the pain of a fresh banding...the constant urge to go to the bathroom when there isn't really anything there. Bonus--I catch my daughter's cold and proceed to hack at night like a crazy person. If you don't already know, every time you cough or sneeze, you feel it in your butt. It was basic agony. But still, I thought, I am going to be okay soon.

2 weeks after the banding I went back to have the physician assistant look again because I am having so much pain, especially at night. The pain causes me anxiety which causes diarrhea. I am so stressed I can't get on top of this. The PA looks inside and says the hemmie and band are gone, but that she can see it was banded in a place close to the pain sensors in my anal canal and no wonder it hurts so much. She also tells me my rectum is red and inflamed from the diarrhea. She tells me my recovery is going to take at least 2-3 more weeks and to go home and relax with a glass of red wine. I am so relieved, I hug her. I should have asked for pain relief, but I didn't.

Went home that night, trying to relax, and our dog (fur baby) proceeds to have a massive seizure. Her first one. We rush her to the vet and they're like, maybe it'll be only one. I have diarrhea from all the stress at the vet office. We go home, dog has another massive seizure in the middle of the night.

Husband and I are stressed to our maximums. Dog gets seizure medicine the next day and is better.

I am still completely stressed out. My butt still hurts 24 days after my banding. I have anxiety from knowing I am going to be in pain every day. I am sad because I don't think I am ever going to feel normal again.My doctor assures me I will be fine in a few weeks. Til then, take Advil and Tylenol. Advil doesn't touch the pain, Tylenol is better. I am trying my best to take it easy and get better. I have never had to recover from any procedure really before. I am not good at it, apparently.

If you've read this, thank you. This board has been somewhat of a lifesaver for me these past few months. Everyone's experiences have been helpful to me.

I am here to say

Internal hemorrhoids CAN hurt.

Rubber band ligation CAN be painful.

Some people don't bounce back after one or 2 days. or even 2 weeks.

Banding a hemorrhoid near the pain sensors might not hurt right at banding but will flare up hours later when it's too late to adjust the band.

I am hoping like crazy I feel better soon. This whole enchilada has made me somewhat depressed.

Hugs to you all, fellow hemorrhoids sufferers.

We are a brave bunch, that's for darn sure.

Just one stupid little hemorrhoid.

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi hope you are getting better. Where was your operation done?
    • Posted

mary smile

Ohio, USA. smile

and thank you. I feel all right. Lots of pressure still. Someday it'll go away.

I hope.

xo,

Susana

• Posted

We are a brave bunch indeed, though sadly we have no option. It’s a barbaric procedure, just recovering after 8 weeks from grade 3 hemms  removed (3 of them). Excruciating pain for two weeks, then agony for next two, then at least manageable pain. Wanted to die at one point. Don’t think anyone other than those who have gone through it can truly understand. Really hope you are feeling better soon hon, I know how every day of pain feels like a week and it’s exhausting. Xxx
    • Posted

Teresa thank you for chiming in. I hope you're feeling well today and I am sending you a hug.

I was just in the ER this past weekend with pain so bad I had no idea how to get it under control.

I had a catscan that let me know everything inside of me is okay, I am just working hard to heal from this single banding. Honestly, my mental state has taken enough. I just want to be able to get on top of this discomfort.

knowing nothing else is going on helps. Now if the never-ending feeling like my butt is going to explode would go away....

xo!

Susana

• Posted

Hi Susana 

I'm sorry to hear ur still in so much discomfort

I can't believe Banding has caused you so much grief. To think they suggest this as an "easier" option than surgery. 

I'm glad ur sharing ur story for others who have also been misled by the medical staff 

Keep on healing Susana ur getting there slowly but surely

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Sez!

How are you feeling these days? I'm hoping better and better every day.

I just wanted to share my story in case anyone goes to get a banding or 2 or 3 and recovery isn't what their doctor says it would be.

Me believing I'd be better in 24-48 hours like the Dr said I would, and then not feeling better for weeks gave me anxiety.

Tonight is the first night in a long time I feel like I could be on the upswing. I hosted my whole family for Trick-or-Treat night and I had a great time.  

Here's to ALL of us healing and feeling better than we ever did before.

• Posted

Hi Susana

I'm so glad ur on the mend

That's great to hear

It's a very slow and painful process. 

I'm ok for the most part. I'm just in a lot of pain before the bm but seem to bounce back after 

I don't feel 100% healed tho maybe 70%

Let us all heal quickly xx

• Posted

Hi Sez. Hoping you;re closer to 100% today. I've had a setback. More pressure and pain again. I think I am having spasms since anxiety meds take the edge off.

I've had to start antidepressants because of this whole thing.

I mean, I was feeling depressed before all of this started and I am curious how stress could have maybe helped this situation begin.

Anyway, approaching week 6 for one banding and still on Tylenol and ice.

xo

• Posted

Wow, Susan. Thanks for sharing. About one month ago I was dealing with a thrombosed internal hemorrhoid, skin tag, and anal fissure. I’m fine now and watching what I eat, drink, and sitz baths. The fear of coming back is true. I hope I never have to have it banded. Out of curiosity, could you have gone back to your surgeon and had him loosen your band?
    • Posted

Hi share smile

I might have been able to do that, but the first couple of days I just thought it was normal pain, you know? I was in bed with a heating pad and my pain killers...I thought, okay, this is gonna go away someday soon.

26 days later, I am still experiencing the pressure like I need to go to the bathroom.

Also, I called my doctor and messaged her several times...they blew me off a few times...telling me to take pain killers and baths. Yeh, like that's going to help.

I was in the ER this past weekend..nothing sinister is happening (what a relief)  I am just looking at a longer recovery.

Needless to say, I have already contacted a new surgeon to take her place if I ever need help again.

I am so glad you feel better, Share. May your recovery continue and continue!

xo,

Susana smile

• Posted

I have the same stress factor. I had 3 landings over the summer. The first was brutal, mostly because the Dr told me people go back to work that same day. It took me at least a week to feel okay. The second one was also brutal except I know what to expect. The third on No problem... I barely noticed it and had no discomfort. I feel much better without them!!! Mine are also stressed induced. I can remember my first bad hemorrhoid was at a funeral many years ago. Keep your sunny side up, in the end, pun intended, it was way worth it..
    • Posted

Hi Irie smile

Stress is so horrible. I am fearful my situation is lingering because of stress. I woulnd't be surprised. Sometimes I think maybe this happened to me for a reason and that reason is that I was way overdue to get control of some of the stress in my life.

It will be interesting to see how this antidepressant makes me feel.

Looking forward to feeling better soon and I hope you feel great right now!

xo

• Posted

Hi Irie! Thank you for your response! I'm so glad you're feeling better 🙂

3 years ago when I had my first round of 3 bandings I had no idea what to expect and I remember though I felt pain  and pressure (the pressure drives me crazy!) I felt so much better after. 

Thank goodness we have ways to fix these miserable things.

I'm on the upswing, I think. Finally. Still have the pressure feeling now and then, but the pain and burning are gone. Whew.

Now if I could just get the pressure to go away for good, I'd be the happiest girl on the planet. It doesn't last all day, so that's another good thing.

Hope you're well and enjoying life these days! 

xo,

Susana 

• Edited

Hi Susana - I know this is an old post but how long did it take for your pain to go? I had 3 grade 2 banded 3.5 weeks ago and at the beginning of the 3rd week, I started to feel pain free and now after housework, I'm in agony again.

Al

• Edited

Now 5 days in on ×3 grade 2 banding Christ ! so Not having a good time

blood ! lose & hard stools stomach ache lots gas feel quite Un well my anxiety is off the scale a simple task of going to the toilet has mentally & in body has dragged so low 'hospital Doctor gave me next to nothing as in after care or info other than OK you are now Banded just get on with it so Not funny !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.