Let’s all go into PMR remission by using “Don’t worry, be happy”

Posted , 12 users are following.

We all communicate so well on this great ‘Patient’ website and share our PMR miseries but I think that we should also be sharing more of our “happiness’s”.

There is a branch of medicine that addresses the state of mind influence on our physical health called psychoneuroimmunology. It deals with the influence of our emotional state such as stress and nervous system activities on our immune functions. Studies suggest that mental states such as stress can influence health and how subjective moods connect with the incredibly complicated physiology of the nervous and immune systems.

Many of us with PMR feel somewhat ‘separated’ from others (family and friends) who just don’t understand what we are feeling both mentally and physically.

I am sure that stress and loneliness push our immune responses in the wrong directions, shaping our ability to fight PMR disease. I think that the medical professionals that deal with PMR and similar diseases need to try to generate greater understanding of how the immune system and nervous system interact.

I think that “happiness therapy”, including regular doses of humor and specific ‘fun’ things that each of us personally enjoy should be one of the most important issues proposed by our medical professionals and not just how ‘rotten’ things are and will be.

Rheumatologists know that portions of the nervous system connect with immune-related organs and response to stress can suppress parts of the immune system and, over the long term, lead to damaging levels of inflammation. They know all about this from studying the immune molecular messengers such as the stress hormone cortisol and the immune messenger proteins called cytokines. But do they talk to us about this ?

Another ‘big’ factor is that lonely people who may be less likely to eat well or to visit their doctor regularly can have upregulated genes related to inflammatory response, whereas sociable people tend to generate the opposite.

Most of us are driven only by our own feelings, and our happiness depends only on our personal feelings. If these feelings are adverse, we may become very stressed. But if we care about things beyond ourselves — community, politics, etc. then stresses tend to be of less concern. There seems to be enough evidence to suggest that emotions contribute to health.

So – “Don't worry, be happy” and “Be sociable” are very important factors for all of us with PMR.

Dave

7 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is natural to concentrate on our own condition especially during pred reduction ; however, we have to own our own happiness. Here in Colorado we can get mellow out legally sssss...cheesygrin That being said, I only do one drug and I want to get off of it sooooo bad. I am putting together a post on my latest reduction questions and procedural failures and would like to change my userID to indicate my gender. I would also like to post something about family treating one like an invalid.
    • Posted

Hi cc,

To change your nickname - go to the top of the page and click on your name - go to settings in the grey box - on the left click the orange box 'update your details' - change your nicknmame and click update

• Posted

Hi Dave, I agree with you.  I've been diagnosed with pmr since June, and started on the journey of steroids and reducing of steroids, and found that I felt isolated, not understood whenever I tried to explain to people how my emotions and internal self were pushed to the edge of craziness, madness, despair, tension by the medication.   I never had such problems before.  My job is counselling therapy, so feeling this way was illuminating.  I always believed in, as you described,  the affect on immune response, via the nervous system, of stressed or distressed thoughts from daily life, and I have always supported meditation and self soothing techniques to help maintain health of body and mind.  Now, I'm finding my experience of mild stress hugely impacts on my body, symptoms, since being on prednisolone. Even now on 6mg low dose, body response is very sensitive to a stressful day.   

I conclude that stress was my original trigger for onset of pmr, and now the task is to retrain myself, into being less stressed, less reactive, thereby retraining the immune system response.    Happiness is important.  It's taken this experience, to help me realise how I was unconsciously stuck in overdrive, needing to relearn a better pace of life. 

• Posted

I agree with you Dave, I think that PMR  is in some way caused by stress. Certainly in my case the illness and death of my sister, and the constant worry it caused as she lived on her own may have been a contributory factor, following carpal tunnel and shingles.  I am grateful my pmr symptoms do not appear to be as bad as a lot of the forum contributors, now reducing slowly and touch wood am doing fine.  Thank goodness for the forum. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.