Let's talk about Cataract surgery choices and outcomes.

Posted , 17 users are following.

I'm a retired opticain who just had my first cataract surgery. I love to talk about the EYES.

3 likes, 233 replies

233 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

So, what are the details of your cataract surgery?

What type of IOL(s), did you get the added cost of femtolaser and ORA, and how much were the extra costs for those for you?  What does your post surgery eyedrop schedule look like, what types and how many?

I have my first eye cataract surgery scheduled for 2 weeks from now and plan for a Tecnics monofocal toric IOL first for my right (dominant) eye target for good distance vision about -0.25D.  No femtolaser, but will use ORA.  The surgeon I selected, uses a special technique where after the surgery he injects the prescription medications into the eye that last for a few weeks reducing significantly the number of post surgery eyedrops I will need to use for several weeks - only 2 eyedrop types (a steroid and a NSAID) and only one drop of each per day!

• Posted

http://www.precisionlens.net/tecniszcb00

Click above to read the description of my OD IOL implant that was implanted last Thursday. Same as yours but not toric. I don't need a toric lens and Medicare will not pay for toric or progressive implants. Will have OS implant in two days. My copay so far is $250. Day before surgery Ofloxacin and prednisolone every 2 hours after surgery every 4 hours. I'm retired and have plenty of time for drops, lol.

• Posted

I only have to use 2 eyedrops twice a day for 3 weeks and one drop once a day for 3 weeks. No big deal.
  • Posted

I just found a post on the Medhelp website made by someone named Software Developer on March 10, 2016 who has posted all over the place about how you won't be able to see at intermediate distances of 2 to 5 feet without glasses after cataract surgery with monofocal IOLs set for distance. He posted a link to an FDA study of 3 different Tecnis monofocals (made by Abbott, the same company that makes the Symfony lens), but he apparently didn't really read the whole thing (search for TECNIS Multifocal 1-Piece Intraocular Lens (IOL) – Models ZKB00 (+2.75 D) and ZLB00

(+3.25 D) and find the FDA link with the PDF of the study results).

At the bottom of page 14, take a look at Figure 8 (it says "Figure 8 presents the subjects’ ability to function comfortably without glasses at near, intermediate and distance"wink, then notice how the results of the study show for the 3 monofocal IOLs set for distance, the results for people who could see fine without glasses at intermediate distances of 2 to 5 feet after having cataract surgery with monofocal IOLs set for distance were 97.9%, 97.3% and 94.4% for the three different monofocal IOLs in the study. I didn't even have one of those IOLs (mine is made by Bausch & Lomb) and I had the same great result.

• Posted

I just found a post on another cataract discussion forum made by someone named Software Developer on March 10, 2016 who has posted all over the place about how you won't be able to see at intermediate distances of 2 to 5 feet without glasses after cataract surgery with monofocal IOLs set for distance. He posted a link to an FDA study of 3 different Tecnis monofocals (made by Abbott, the same company that makes the Symfony lens), but he apparently didn't really read the whole thing (search for TECNIS Multifocal 1-Piece Intraocular Lens (IOL) – Models ZKB00 (+2.75 D) and ZLB00 (+3.25 D) and find the FDA link with the PDF of the study results).

At the bottom of page 14, take a look at Figure 8 (it says "Figure 8 presents the subjects’ ability to function comfortably without glasses at near, intermediate and distance"wink, then notice how the results of the study show for the 3 monofocal IOLs set for distance, the results for people who could see fine without glasses at intermediate distances of 2 to 5 feet after having cataract surgery with monofocal IOLs set for distance were 97.9%, 97.3% and 94.4% for the three different monofocal IOLs in the study. I didn't even have one of those IOLs (mine is made by Bausch & Lomb) and I had a similar great result.

• Posted

I actually intended to say I had the same great result, not a similar great result.
    • Posted

Most doctors are not comfortable implanting lenses that give you monovision results unless you have been a successful monovision contact lens wearer. I'm a successful farsighted monovision contact lens wearer. My OD IOL power is +26.50. There is give and take in each choice. Optics is not an exact science. I used to fit all types of contact lenses before I retired. I always explained in detail the pluses and minuses of monovision.

• Posted

Monovision maybe not but most would tolerate a mini monovision.  I have that with Symfony lenses and enjoy really near vision.  Can read J1 at 14 inches.  With other eye at 0D I get great distance - with Symfony I see 20/20 out of right eye and 20/30 from left.   

• Posted

And the same study found that for the three monofocal IOLs set for distance (the model numbers of the three Tecnis monofocal IOLs studied are ZKB00, ZLB00 and ZCB00) the number of people who had good near vision without glasses was 81.0% for the ZKB00, 85.9% for the ZLB00, and for some reason the last one - the ZCB00 - had a bad outcome with only 33.1% (a good reason to stay away from that model lens).
    • Posted

I don't want full monovision. I also prefer the modified monovision. I am wearing eyeglasses now with no lens over the implant. I just popped that lens out. I'm looking through a+1.25 lens with my left nondominant eye. I tried a +1.00 and a +1.50. This information should help my surgeon calculate the implant power for my nondominant eye. I should end up with dominant eye corrected to distance and nondominant corrected to intermediate. I used to give myself intermediate and near with contact lenses when we would go out for dinner because I was only interested in seeing people I was talking to or the menu. I had three different contact lens powers to choose from depending on what type of monovision I wanted.

• Posted

Best of luck to you.  My optometrist at the beginning of all this warned me off premium lenses but to my opthamologist’s point those with successful surgeries don’t go back for eyeglasses!   So she would hear more negative than positive.  

I live in. A ada do upchsrge on premium lenses not as expensive as elsewhere.  Surgery covered regardless for cataracts - paid difference between Symfony and monofocal lens and that was to hospital not surgeon.  So my surgeon had no vested interest in upwelling me premium lenses.

For me it’s worked out well.  First time since I was 13 that I have been glasses free!

• Posted

I've participated in two medical studies. I was very disappointed in the way they collected imformation. I have no faith in studies. Many are tainted. Implant manufacturers are in competition with each other to discredit their competition. There are so many cat implant recalls that it will make your head spin. Be happy with your choice, I'm very happy with my surgeons choice of implants. Hasn't even been a week since my first implant. No pain and very good distance at this point and it should continue to improve.

• Posted

Cataract surgery today improves quality of life for so many people. I'm glad that you are happy with your results.

• Posted

The reason for the poor near range result for the Tecnis ZCB00 is because that is a monofocal and the ZKB00 and ZLB00 are +2.75 add and +3.25 add multifocals respectively.

Hence the results match the expectation given the different add or none for the monofocal.

In general the results I've seen show Symfony has less issues than high or medium add multifocals but not a dissimilar level to the +2.75 add multifocal.  The monofocal is better still for general issues but obviously lacks the advantage in more focal points or depth.

• Posted

Key messages

The review shows that people who have a multifocal intraocular lens after their cataract is removed may be less likely to need additional spectacles. However, they may experience more visual problems, such as glare or haloes (rings around lights), compared with people who have monofocal lenses

• Posted

I was under the impression that study was a comparison of 3 monofocals. I didn't read it, I just looked at the results on the 2 pages I mentioned. Thanks for the clarification (and anyway the point I was trying to make is almost 100% of people can see fine at mid-range distances of up to 6 feet without glasses after cataract surgery with monofocal IOLs set for distance). For example, if 10 million people have cataract surgery yearly worldwide and 5% of them can't see without glasses at intermediate distances of up to 6 feet after getting monofocal IOLs set for distance, that's still a sizable number (500,000 people), but that leaves 9.5 million people who don't need glasses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.