Let’s talk about sex, baby!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so here’s the thing nobody seems to want to talk about but sexual side effects on sertraline.... they’re not great! I have gone from inability to orgasm to just a bit numb with diminished and delayed orgasm. Anyone similar experiences? Did it get better? Did switching to diff ssri help?   I am female. Thanks! 🕵????🤫

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different, but for me, it got better with time. It was frustrating for a few months, then the sexual side effects subsided for me. I’m on a high dose, too. 150mg. No problems at this time.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! It’s good to hear it’s possible for the side effects to go even though as you say everyone is different! Thanks again 
  • Posted

Yes it’s not really something that gets mentioned much. But it’s probably been the most difficult side effect for me to deal with. From delayed to none at all, things that have never been an issue I’m the past. This is particularly confusing for a guy as it’s not something we usually have to deal with. It has improved, I tend to find it depends on circumstances too. I’ve tslked to doctor and he says it wouldn’t really matter what ssri because this is a common side effect and would likely be the same with another one. The advice was just not to over think it...(easier said than done...) sometimes it just becomes more of a mental thing when you go into it worrying. So with that and time it is better. And I’ve just tried to use it to my wife’s advantage any of the other times when it’s greatly delayed! 

I know that’s not maybe the most comforting answer but it’s not just you. And I guess we have to balance the bad side effects against the positive results of the drug. Doc said once I’m off the pill it will eventually revert to completely as before. 

Hope this kind of helps...

• Posted

sorry for my late reply but thank you for yours! i spoke to GP who said they'd try me on another one if this hadnt resolved - they said that sometimes one SSRI will suit better - this seems to be up for debate but i figure its probably worth a try in a month or so. im just worried that all the other side effects will probably return for a while!

• Posted

ive finally come off sertraline. i have been feeling better and the side effects were becoming worse than the symptoms. within 3 weeks of being off all things returned to normal in thst department. hope things work out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.