Let them know about withdrawal!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just tried to enter a post about letting the drug co's know about how difficult it is to reduce & quit this drug but the moberator has to check it. It's probably because I entered a web address & 'phone no.  I rang my supplier's medical info. line yesterday and reported my own difficulties and the fact that there are a lot of unhappy people out here trying to come off Mirtazapine.  The manufacturers underplay the problems (of course, don't want them taken off the market!).

I suggest you ring the medical info. line of whoever supplies/makes your drug and let them know just what's happening for you.

If enough people do this they may take notice; it's worth a go.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Here here Sal I think your right I'll be complaining. I think a few people will join us. 
  • Posted

There is a data sheet with the side-effects. Have you reported these to your psych or CPN?
    • Posted

Hi,  don't have either of those, lucky I don't really need them.  Mental health provision in this country is appalling.  Only ever been on 15mg and these are not side effects they are rebound / withdrawal.  Down to a quarter of a tab.
    • Posted

You are on 3.75mg. Well, how much difference would it be being on 0mg IMHO. And I  probably wouldn't be here but for the appalling MH provision in this country.
  • Posted

Hi there I have been on this drug now for ten months.  I take 30 mg and I have been anxiety and depression free now for 6 months and I feel brilliant... I was on this drug six years ago for three years while completing a my nursing degree and wen I came off them had NO side effects and remained well for three years. So wat I'm trying to say is everyone is different and not everyone experiences the same side effects.. This drug worked wonders for me and it may b that one drug does not suit everyone.  May b u need another type of med x good luk.
    • Posted

Jacqueline, can I ask you how you came off the drug? Did you jump from 30mg to monthing or you taper?
    • Posted

Yes of course... I went from 30 and then down to 15 every nite for two weeks then I took 15 every third nite for two weeks and so on over a period of two-three months and did not experience any side effects... This was the advice of my psychiatrist.. I believe that the side effects are experienced when some people are still unwell and have not properly recovered... The leaflet does inform u that u shld cont with med til at least six months after u feel better or u run the risk of the anxiety or depression returning so I firmly believe this is wats happening to some people . Hope this helps...
    • Posted

Thank you. This is very interesting...It is more or less the citap protocol to get off this drug. I do not understand which method is better...to slowly taper off or to follow your strategy? Personally i found 15mg a dose under which I just could not function. So, you never experienced nausea during that period...not even a slight headache?
    • Posted

The Mind charity advises that if you are tapering down your dosage and get withdrawal anxiety, if those symptoms dissappear as soon as you up the dose again; that's withdrawal, not a return to whatever the drug was prescribed for. Especially if you have been taking the drug for at least the recommended time and you are depression free.

Some people are less sensitive to drugs than others, of course.

• Posted

Well my withdrawal sympton was the disappearance of extensive back and hip pains and the dkisappearance of difficulties in urinating. The problems with urinating were the reason for my psych telling me to immediately come off mirtazapine.
  • Posted

Get smart and start a class action in the UK. I live in another country. In the leaflet they do not mention withdrawal effects once you begin to suspend this thing. I believe only a class action can wake people up and avoid this unecessary suffering. I will start one in Germany.
  • Posted

I'm afraid it differs for everyone. You can't expect everyone to have the same reaction just because some people complain of bad withdrawals etc. Mirtazapine works wonders for some, it didn't work for me, so after 8months I came off.. I tapered from 45mg, to 30mg, to 22.5mg to 15mg and then 7.5mg and then nothing....I did this over 6weeks.. I had very mild withdrawal effects. After reading online...I was expecting severe problems withdrawing...just prooves if you google everything and spend your time researching...you're bound to just find bad review after review...people are more inclined to review if something is bad.
    • Posted

Absolotely true Rachel. Nevertheless, when you are given such a pill, you should be also warned about the tapering off period and withdrawal Symptoms. You are extremely lucky, jumping from 7.5mg to nothing is very brave. There are people here who did it and suffered for months. I reduced from 15 to 11,25 for 2 weeks and it was absolutely fine. I tapered off another 1,50 mg and at the 8th or 9th day I was hit by a major headache, nausea, flu like s....Everything lasted for almost 10 days. So I reinstated 11,25 and gave my pills to a compounding pharmacy, where they will provide me with the perfect reductions. You've been so lucky. Can I ask you what kind of mild w.s. you experienced and how long they lasted?
    • Posted

I agree with you aswell Rachael one size don't fit all as they say.But just as they give you a list of side effects when you go on a tablet which don't effect everyone (that goes for all tablets ) they should also give you a list of side effects for comeing off a tablet.Then you have the choise wether to take it or not. 
    • Posted

I had minor headaches, flu symptoms for a week, slight waves of sickness and slight increased anxiety after 3weeks. I've been off mirtazapine since early July now. I was expecting severe insomnia as insomnia was the cause if my anxiety initially. I'd read all about people withdrawing and 'going through hell' with withdrawal insomnia and anxiety but I had absolutely no insomnia what so ever. The anxiety was also no worse than when I was actually on the mirt...in fact I just got better as weeks went by. I think withdrawal can be different for everyone, not at all implying that people exaggerate...but sitting writing lists on every symptom you get (as some people do) is just asking for trouble lol Keep busy and just have the end goal in sight.

I was 90% sure mirtazapine was making me feel more anxious so when I decided to withdraw I had come to the conclusion that if I feel like absolute rubbish on the pills... Its not going to get any worse coming off! Lol smile

• Posted

Thanks for your insight Rachel. I also was given Mirta to sleep better, nevertheless I'm very sensitive to variations in my metabolism...So I decided to come off and understood that I had to taper off slowly. I also experienced a strange feeling of anxiety I never had in my life, due to this drug. Thank God I understood it was just a mere side effect. Well, have a great day, M
    • Posted

I still have very slight anxiety but I have a lot of worry going on in my life at the no so its understandable. I'm much better off mirtazapine than on it!  I have got tingly feet and occasional aches but I had these before mirt so may be a symptom of anxiety still or I've got a pinched nerve from carrying my giant child around with me! Doctor is sending me for an MRI to check! 
    • Posted

Rachel, tingling feel might as well be a sympt of a lack of biotin. I had those symptoms as well, I supplemented with biotin for one week and that weird sensation disappeared.
    • Posted

Of course it differs for everyone.  Why would I expect everyone to have the same reaction?  My post was intended for those having considerable difficulty quitting.  I agree that forums are most likely to air problems; this is not the only forum of its kind and there are a lot of people struggling.

• Posted

Biotin? Never heard of it! Is it safe? I get the tingling in my feet...its so distracting and if anything makes me anxious more! Lol
    • Posted

Hi Rachael just wondered if you can help been on 30mg of mirtazapine for three weeks my mood is lifting but i have had tightness in my chest on and off for two days! did you suffer this at all. thank you Anne
    • Posted

Typical of Mirtazapine. The first time I had it I was going crazy...I thought I had panick attacks (never ever suffered from one)...Then I tried to use my brain and realized it was Mirtazapine...Not me. I got it as a sleep aid (frankly I did not need it) and the pein in the chest is the main reason I'm weaning myself off it.
    • Posted

www.sleepio.com/articles/sleep-aids/mirtazapine-and-sleep/ suggests that mirtazapine be used for sleep aid only when the patient suffers with depression.

It also says that a well-known withdrawal side-effect is insomnia.

I would add that when I had an important in the morning I wouldn't take it in the evening because I would be half asleep then. But even just missing one evening's dose I would find it difficult to get to sleep - with the effect that I would be even more tired in the morning.

• Posted

Hey Anne, good that your mood is lifting! I didn't have the tightness in my chest as a symptom of mirtazapine. I had that prior to mirtazapine due to my panic and anxiety xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.