Lethargy pain and weakness

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

In the past few months I have been feeling really unwell with loss of strength no energy and extreme weakness, I am also getting low back and hip pain and weakness and pain in my legs. numerous blood tests have revealed nothing and several clinical investigations have all been negative.

So I looked at what I have been doing differently in the past 6 months since it started and has got progressively worse.

I put it to my GP that in the absence of anything being found in my blood or clinically could it be medication induced as in May I was changed from Warfarin to Rivaroxaban and I haven't been right since. the only response I got was a smile!!!!!

because of my BMI being so low I couldn't have Dabagatrin or the other one.

I haven't been seen by cardiologist since my diagnosis of PAF 3 years ago 

I don't know what to do next and would really appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

L xx

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Are you on any other medications such as a Bisoprolol ?

• Posted

Hello Derek

Yes I have been on Bisoprolol 1.25mg since I was diagnosed 

L x

• Posted

I don't have the answer but I can send you much empathy  - exactly what you say could be me speaking.    You don't say how old you are because of course the back and hip pain could be age related  and combining with the other however you are quite clear that it is since the Rivaroxaban.      You don't say who changed you from Warfarin to Riaroxaban but it sounds like you will either have to pursue this with your GP or ask to see a consultant although I also appreciate how hard that is feeling as you do.        I suddenly became much weaker and fatigued with no strength earlier this year but it was just before I came off 2 heart drugs and stopping them did make me feel better in one way but not with the weakness which has progressed.      I have other problems as well as AF however and in fact I think its the other problems that have triggered the AF  - all the consultants wash their hands of my symptoms being down to their specialty and hence my empathy as I go around in circles wishing I could work out what I can do.   

• Posted

Oh Kate,

How right you are they only deal with their thing and move you on to the next one and if they only bothered to look at you as a whole person and not just the thing you were sent to them with they might find there is a connection as our bodies are not in separate sections.

in answer to you question I am 70 years young.

I Like you have other health problems apart from the PAF mostly I have them under control.

All this only started when I went on to rivaroxaban, 

The GP at the new surgery I had to move to because my surgery closed changed me over. as i understand it  they are moving anticoag from the hospital into GP surgeries, I  can only speculate why they want people off the warfarin its a cheaper drug but the indirect spend training practice nurses and constant blood test is not cheap.

L x

• Posted

Well the hip and back may be your age as I have the same at 7 years younger.     If you have been switched to a drug because it is cheaper then it is reasonable for them to see how you go however if having tried it your health has suffered then go back to them or see someone else and ask them to go back on Warfarin.      I have certain drugs which are more expensive but are better for me and they will do it if you ask.    If verbal does not succeed try it in writing.       Good Luck  - Like I said before when feeling at your weakest you will have to remain strong and persistent.  
    • Posted

My local surgery has over 300 patients on Warfarin. They book the appointments at eight minute intervals. It is evidently costed at just over £10 an appointment. In some areas local pharmacies are doing the testing.

• Posted

Hi Linda, I have taken Rivaroxaban but it caused  a bleed. I now take Apixaban and I am fine with that I also take Bisoprolol and flecainide. Have had a lot of trial and error with other medications, nightmare, sickness, and feeling very low but thankfully I seem settled now. I know what you mean about the "Smile" and you are always made to feel you are the only one who has problems with the medication.

Hope you feel better soon

Mary

• Posted

This may be helpful, I am on 5mg Bisoprolol, since being on this drug I experience muscle weekness but its manageable. The reason for my reply is that Ive been chatting to my sister today who is also on Bisoprolol AND her GP put her on statins 18 months ago which caused extreme weekness and pain in muscles to the point of not being able to walk about so she came off them. A few weeks ago her GP insisted she started taking them again and the same thing is happening again. I hope this information is useful.

• Posted

Thanks Sue,

I am not on Statins, but my husband was and had to stop them for the same reason as your sister

L x

• Posted

I took atorvastatin for a few months and had severe muscle pain. I stopped it for a few months but went back to it just prior to heart surgery with the same effect and stopped it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.