Letting the disease take it's course.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a particularly aggressive form of RA/PsA which has proven untreatable so far with none of the DMARDS nor the biologics having provided any relief. I've just been released from hospital after having my right superior and middle lung lobes removed due to cancer. The RA/PSA meds greatly increase the risk of contracting cancer again, of course cancer always returns no matter the treatment. I can't afford to lose any more lung so I'm thinking of stopping all meds, except for pain meds and anti inflamatories, and allowing the disease to take it's course. It's a toss up as to what will claim me first. Such is life!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

As I said before Tony, I am new to this RA thing so I have nothing wise to be any help to you at all and that frustrates me.  When I am in pain struggling to put my pants on in the morning , trying to make a full swing with a golf club or crying because I dont have the strength in my hands to form a barre chord on my guitar, I will think of you and give myself a firm slap to stop from feeling sorry for myself, because there are others far worse than me.... and that is how you will help me .  All the best Tony.
  • Posted

I am sorry Tony.   That has to be a gut wrenching decision on your part.  You have been thru it all.   I do wish you would get some relief from the constant pain and awful disease.     Did your doctor agree this would be the best course of action or did he suggest any other drug that might be safe after a cancer diagnosis

I wish you peace and comfort in the days ahead.    We will all be thinking of you on this forum

Gloria

• Posted

I haven't discussed this option with my Rheumatologist yet, next visit probably, currently I'm only taking Bufren and  Tapentadol.   Not sure what I will do really.

Nothing wrong with feeling sorry for yourself, I do it all the time.   Hangnail or terminal illnes, makes no difference, anything that affects you personally in a negative manner is far worse than what others suffer - simply because your first responsibility is to yourself.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.