leukocytes in urine???

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past week or so my abdomen has felt bloated and hard (I have ckd stage 3b)  and I have been peeing but I don't think the output has been equal to the input (eg less than).  So I handed in a sample to my surgery today and apparently it has leukocytes in it but nothing else and the sample has been sent off for further analysis at the labs.  Any ideas what it cold be?  I have had pains in my abdomen and back but tbh I thought I had pulled a few muscles whilst moving furniture around earlier in the week. So it hurts even when I cough and blow my nose, never mind pee or poop!  I have been taking nsaids to cope with my bone and joint pain but I doubt the would cause leukocytes in my urine.  I have read that kidney stones can cause this but never had them before either?  Anyone else had leukocytes in your urine, and if so, what was the cause?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The worse medication that you can take for kidneys is ibuprofen or similar products. They damage the kidneys. I take only acetaminophen. or similar products. Even aspirin can destroy your kidneys. I take baby aspirin.at 81 mg. Anything stronger can cause additional problems.

The stronger medication you can take are prescribed by your doctor. They may or may not harm your kidneys, only your doctor can tell you which ones will help for pain.

I am on haemodialysis so I know about these types of over the counter drugs. I never heard about leukocytes. I will have to check for that online.

• Posted

Thanks John. I know I shouldn't be taking the nsaids and will try to cut them down. It is just so hard when you suffer from constant bone and joint pain. Mine is caused from a severe vitamin d deficiency and straining my back and abdomen recently hasn't helped x

• Posted

Leukocytes are white blood cells .... probably sign of an infection, that you may check with your GP for a urine culture test. 
  • Posted

Hi tcake,

Hope this finds you well. Leukocyte in your urine can be a couple of things. If you routinely go for renal checks at a clinic, this is part of your "dip check" whereby they dip the strip with small coloured blocks into your urine. It can be a sign of infection. They routinely send your urine for a urine culture to see if there are any signs of infection, and specifically, what antibiotics will be required if you have an infection. Ciprofloxin is usually a good oral antibiotic for kidney sepsis.

The reason I said could be an infection, I used to do A LOT of weight training and the breakdown of tissue during also produced leukocyte in urine as muscle was being built and I was cutting weight at the time(beach body lol). The dip test is just a guide, the culture is the bigger part. It could possibly be down to torn muscles repairing

Just re read everything and I've not really answered anything apart from wait for culture results.

Depending on heat, perspiration and breathing rates, you will lose fluids through those means as opposed to just peeing

• Posted

Thanks for the info x I think it could be torn ligaments as my back and abdomen have been hurting ever since moving my furniture. I have learned my lesson and won't be doing that again!

• Posted

Thanks and I think you could be right - maybe the leukocytes are due to straining my back and abdomen! Never thought of that x
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies x Hopefully the culture results will be back soon. I will let you know what they are x
  • Posted

Update - uti so been prescribed antibiotics - glad nothing serious razz

• Posted

So glad you found the cause and it can be addressed. Hopefully you feel better soon. I always have some leuckocytes but apparently not enough for concern yet. Let us know how it goes and no more moving things!
    • Posted

Thanks Cowgirl, I feel better already so the antibiotics must be working.  My back feels better soon as I have been resting cheesygrin

• Posted

I forgot to mention I take 50,000 units of Vitamin D, once a week, it is a prescripting drug, plus I take 2,000. units daily of Vitamin D, which is over the counter kind.Even with dosage, my vitamin D ranges from 30 to 40. I also take a kidney vitamin called rena vite. It is also a prescription drug. I dont know if is an over the counter kind, but my doctor gave it to me. My binder for phophorus is called sevelamer carbonate. I don't know if I can tell you the brand name on this forum without it going to a monitor.

I hope this info helps

• Posted

I take Vitamin D tablets too - my doc prescribed me Colecalciferol 20,000 unit capsules and I am taking one capsule three times a week for twelve weeks - I have been on a few 12 week courses and my vitamin D is still really low  <8 rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.