level 2

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been told I am at level 2 with COPD, what am I to expect, I have inhaler Anoro ellipta

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Alison I was told I had copd given inhalers all sorts of meds I researched and decided to try magnesium citrate 400mg with calcium 400mg per day after2 months my peak flow went from 220 to 520
    • Posted

Copd is not reversible (if you are suggesting it is) and those treatments are not recognised medical ones so I think you should make the poster aware of this in your reply.  x
    • Posted

I am not saying copd is reversible it is all about being able to breath
    • Posted

Dear hc have a look at what magnesium does for your body in my case I have been on asthma meds for 30years now moved on to copd extra meds I have been in and out of hospital on a regular basis yes these meds have saved my life over the years but they have not cured me they have got me through life threatening illnesses with this does not a price to pay I started on magnesium calcium one year and this is first year durning winter I have not had to be hospitalized durning this period I have had flu and 3 colds my peak flow did not go below 380 which means' I could breath on my own So hc please don't tell me this does not work it works for me it may help someone else

• Posted

I never claimed it didn't work and I am glad it is helping you.  I merely said that it is not a recognised or prescribed treatment for copd and that you should have informed the poster of this especially as they are newly diagnosed.  

• Posted

Hi I am sorry about your copd diagnosis.  Level 2 is moderate which means that it has been found fairly early which is good.  Whilst this is a progressive disease you have a very good chance of holding it stable for many years or not progressing much by leading a healthy lifestyle.  

Look after your lungs,  take the meds,  and don't hesitate to seek medical help if you think something is wrong and I am sure you will have a long and active life still.  Take care.  x

• Posted

Why would you not try something different it cant hurt you and it may help
    • Posted

been there done that robert, but I did those supplements for my bone health not for lung health,  I take D3 and calcium daily as prescribed by my doctor, again for bone health not lung health.  Magnesium citrate I found gave me headaches so I don't take that for lungs or bone health but rely on a healthy diet.

For lung health and being able to breathe easy when you have damaged lungs (not asthma) generally people need broncho dilater prescribed medicines according to their individual situation.  Doctors in UK do not prescribe calcium or magnesium for lung health.

Generally people with damaged lungs do not use a peak flow meter daily, but people with asthma are given these by their doctors in UK.

• Posted

I never said anything about not trying something new or suggested that your treatment didn't help so please don't put words into my mouth Robert.  

I merely said you should have made it clear in your reply that this is something individual you have tried instead of giving the impression to someone newly diagnosed that this was standard and accepted treatment.  

• Posted

Hi Robert Ive decided I'm gonna try other things so if u have any information on any alternate mess they will be welcome

• Posted

Hello southp I started taking magnesium citrate 400mg calcium 400mg idon't take much dairy products but if you do reduce your calcium supplement look up magnesium deficiency symptoms good luck

• Posted

Hi Alison you might want to familiarize yourself with these pages:

https://patient.info/health/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-leaflet

https://patient.info/doctor/diagnosing-copd

You can look up details about your medicines by search patient UK by the medicine name or on the British Lung Foundation Website, NHS Choices, site or the EMC site.

If you do not reside in UK check details about your meds and COPD on the lung foundation in the country you reside.

Also ask about pulmonary rehabilitation when you see your health care professional next and check details about this at BLF or lung foundation website in the country you reside.

• Posted

Hello vee yes wee use peak flow in the UK to monitor our lung capacity it is used as a guide to tell us how well you can breath with regards to taking calcium and D3 if you are deficient in magnesium calcium does not reach the bones and teeth but settles in your blood soft tissue and organs causing all types of illnesses
    • Posted

Are you diagnosed with asthma and COPD robert?  or just Asthma?

For those who may not be aware, perhaps check out post: "tips and know the difference" 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tips-know-the-difference-478568

as for the calcium and D3, as explained above, its only prescribed in UK on the NHS if you have osteoporosis, which can result in people as they age and for many other reasons.  But here is forum discussions for COPD so as not to confuse any one. confused

patients with vitamin D deficiency may be prescribed this supplement on the national health.

For any one wishes to check out NHS Choices or Patient UK sites on vitamin supplements and vitamin deficiencies its just a question of using the search both really.

Sometimes when doing research people forget to check, the cautions, overdose, interference with other medications, what foods may provide it, what the recommended daily allowance is and even communicating with their doctor about concerns of deficiencies and asking to be checked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.