Levels are normal but still feel like crap?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today i went to the doctor to ask about my blood results from August as they said i have to go back every year now? The doctor said it was all normal. I dont have the exact results but he said my tsh is 3 point something and my thyroxine is 15 which is in the middle.

I told him i still feel the exact same as i did when i was diagnosed with hashimotos.. Eg; feel cold, headaches, pains, realy tired, weight gain.. All he could say was that he cant understand why because my levels are normal but decided to increase my dosage of levothyroxine from 75mcg to 100mcg.

Im not really sure what is going on amd whether something else is wrong for me to feel so crappy everyday!!

Does anyone know if it would make a difference to take it at night since i take it in the morning?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily

I've been like that now for 21/2 years I'm on 175 thyroxin but I feel like crap too but really have pain and heavy feeling legs can't walk properly either now waiting for an appointment to see a neurologist checking for MS

I also have tried taking it a nighttime no difference really but try it might work for you

• Posted

Hello Emily

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's since 1987.  I used to feel the way you do.

My problem was I never got the blood levels on LEVO to be in good shape.  I was unable to take the LEVO which is T4 and make it in the thyroid to T3.  Did you doctor check your T3  levels.

Normal TSH is in the range of (0.34 to 5.60) but other levels in the body have to be good also.   I am on just T3 a pill called cytomel (liothyronine).

Now you can take the med at night,  I do that also, I have other pills in the a.m. to take.  Just make sure you have no food in your belly with a few hours, so take it before you go to bed.  Try to take it about the same time each night.

Perhaps the increase in the  LEVO will be right for you. It is normal to need to adjust it from time to time. It can take 6 -8 weeks for a new level and for you to feel better. 

Also please ask your GP or Endo to make sure you have proper minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, sodium, and ferritin levels.  If any minerals are low, it can make the LEVO work poorly.  Also needed would be a vitamin D level.  Many of us with thyroid problems have a tendency to be low in that. So that is a special blood test and takes about 7 days to do.

Stay well, keep us updated.  Shelly

• Posted

There are a few things that occur to me that might help. Maybe your body is not doing the next stage in the process very well. One needs Ferritin level of 90 and above to process thyroxine from T4 (thyroxine) into T3 (liothyronine), which is then used by the body to metabolise food to get the vitamins and minerals from it. One needs thyroid levels ok to be able process iron into ferritin. Also get your levels of the vitamin Bs checked, particularly B12. It therefore follows that you might be deficient in ferritin and other vitamins and minerals. Deficiencies in any of them will make you feel rubbish. Ask for a printout of your blood test results so you can see for yourself your actual levels and the ranges which they are supposed to be within.
  • Posted

Thankyou all for your replies smile the doctor didnt mention my t3 so im guessing it is in the normal range as he wasnt going to do anything until i told him i still feel the same.

I did say to him "no 17 year old should feel like this" amd he seemed quite shocked rolleyes

To get blood tests for vitamins and the other things would i have to go back to see the doctor again? My mum isnt very supportive and she thinks that the way im feeling is normal as she doesnt understand it.

• Posted

Hello Emily:

I would go back to see either your GP or Endo and ask for them to do the mineral panel and even a T3 level.  Some doctors rely on just the TSH level.   Perhaps they did other blood work, it would be wise to get a copy of it all.  If you call the receptionist or medical assistant/nurse for the doctor you see, they can have a copy for you to pick up. By law you have the right to have your medical information.

You can then post on here the levels that they got. It helps to know the levels in the blood. Most of us can understand these blood levels pretty well and it may help us to see if you are getting the results needed by taking the LEVO.

Also you can give the new dose a bit of a chance to work up to a new level.  So keep taking the replacement hormone at night. 

We want to help you get better.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.