Leveothyroxine - bad reaction, please read!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone and anyone that will listen. Ok so I have been on Leveo for 4 to 5 years now and have always been on the same does which if 50 micrograms. Well, I started to go through emotional eating about 6 mo ago amd when I went for my physical the dr suggested my thyroid is undertreated and to increase my thyroid meds by half a pill on Sundays. Well, I started to have heart palitations bad. So I stopped for four days to reset my body. I started back at my normal dose which I informed my primary care that I did. Well I have been getting dizzy spells for over a mo and the worse heartvpalps I have ever gotten. Today was the worst! I went to the er for the 4th time this mo and they did the heart monitor and EKG. Now I am wearing the heart monitor for 24 hours. They gave me a hefty dose od anxiety meds. I am taking some anxiety meds to help counter act the racing heart that they perscribed me. In fact after I finally calmed down I was very fatigued! But I couldnt sleep bc thats how ppl pass away. I did talk to my thyroid dr this morning and he wants me to quit taking my leveo for like a week. Please give me input. I dont wanna die. I am so scared. All my blood testing is normal and my heart monitors test seems ok. I been getting chest pains and everything. Im starting to not take the levo for a few weeks. What really makes me angry and just upset is I asked my primary to send me to a different endo dr because my old dr moved. And she said no she wanted to try and manage this. Its upsetting because all this could have been avoided. I looked at my testing from January and It was within range. Does anyone have any thought on this? Please let me know!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you.. I had thyroid surgery in 2010..had to go on levo.. It was a slow process because of the flushing and premature heartbeats. It went away after a month but now I have had to increase 25mcg more and my body is having a really hard time with it. You might have to try a different brand to see if you can tolerate it. Maybe you should have a stress test to make sure your heart is okay. I have skipped beats when my thyroid is out of whack!! I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you Ruthie. I didnt take my pill this morning. My dizzy spells are minimum and I have had a few heart racing moments but I know what to do for panic attacks so I found that helpful. Now I am so sleepy. Last time I tried to fall asleep my palps came back but I worked at it to get it down. Water and rest for me today. I hope it gets better soon.
    • Posted

I am curious.. What do you do to help stop your palps? I wish there was something I knew to do.. Any advice would help!! I also have tachycardia which is controlled but when increasing Levo it has brought it on several times. This is so frustrating. I used to have panic attacks all the time until my thyroid was under control.
  • Posted

But there is a world of difference between being at the top of the range and just within range.    Were you at the top?

Half a 50 mcg tablet once a week on Sundays is just the doctor pretending to treat you....    Stand your ground ,  ask for testing of tsh, free t3, free t4 and antibodies. If the doc wont do them, get them done privately, the cost is around £100 and you deal direct with the lab yourself.

50 mcg is a starter dose, generally given to older people or those with heart problems.   The goal of thyroid treatment is to resolve your symptoms and palpitations can be a  symptom of undertreatment.

it may be, however that the fillers in the tablets are causing you problems,    Sone use acacia, some lactose.    Have you tried taking the levo with an antihistamine and are you always sticking to the same brand?

anxiety can be a sign of undertreatment too.    Get the tests, if the free t3 is low, ask the doctor for a referral as her 4 years of ministrations dont seem to be helping.

Once you are on a proper dosage, you can be normal again.     85% of people on levothyroxine are well.   The other 15%. can get well but need to try different approaches.   I am one of the 15% and have my life back.'

• Posted

My endo told me the heart palps are due to the extra dose. Because before the other dr told me to increase it when it didnt need to be I have never had these issues. I felt normal. I havent taken my pill in two days and already the heart palps and dizziness has decreased to almost none. My new dr will check my levels in mid May. I dont plan on starting back on tjat pill for a while but I am going to see of there are any other meds or anything else they can do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.