Levi anxiety!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone experienced significant increasing anxiety an a low dose of 25mcg after just a couple of months. I started 25mcg in Jan and 1st noticed symptoms of anxiety and panic about 8 weeks in. Now 6 months in I feel like I'm plugged into a socket and feel shakey.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes. The anxiety was so bad I couldn't function. 

I suspect part of the reason for the anxiety is that levo is T4 only, so when taken, it can actually Doreen an already low T3 to T4 ratio. When the ratios are off from biological norms, it causes just as much problems as hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, this deviation from natural levels is generally ignored.

• Posted

Thanks MtViewCatherine - nice to have the reasurance.  Going to see my doc today.  After reading many posts, I hope my doc listens and is willing to make a shift.
  • Posted

Hi. no problem, all that is happening is that the levo is buildung up too much, the dose you need is less, get the 12.5 mcg tablet, and have a week off before you start.   I am on an even lower dose than 12.5 mcg. though when younger was on up to 150mcg, things change up or down.  If you have 'too much' (i.e. more than you need)  erfa or armour you will get (or i did) the same intense anxiety as on levo, though it is possibly easier for some to adjust as there is less T4 to be buildung up. Check it out with your doctor, hope all goes well, yes, the anxiety is intense, i had it two weeks ago , realised what it was, and had no levo for 3 days, it soon faded.

• Posted

Thanks annie 78444.  I didn't realize there was a dose lower than 12.5.mcg.  I'm very sensitive to meds.  Have you ever tried the non synthetic form?

• Posted

12.5 is the lowest, but the tablet is easily breakable.  one can start low and if not ok in 6 or 8 weeks increase - safer and better for bones and heart.  I have learnt the hard way as i have been hypothyroid for over 10 years, have always been very sensitive to meds, but in the past just prescribed the 'standard' doses of meds.  i have used armour - older formulation, tried newer one also, and used erfa also, for small doses i at any rate cannot use as lowest dose of armour cant be easily broken. and no score on tab. Seem ok on levo for last few months but need a full 6 months to decide. Do not know why little interest is shown in hypothyroid disease as, living with it, and the mood changes it can cause, one sees how central to one's life is a properly functioning thyroid. I hope you can keep posting - currently my situation is not yet solved

• Posted

I will let you know how my doctor's appointment goes today.

• Posted

This has been really interesting to read, I've been on 75mc for the last 7 years 50mc for several years  before that, And generally have done fine on them tho periodically I have had palpitations and they've become much worse with heightened anxiety levels and feel that plugged into a socket sensation, reading through some of the answers here I hadn't realised that you could go over and under. I take mine before going to bed 2 hours after food and always felt that was why I was stable on them.

reading through all your comments I feel reassured I can reduce to 50mc tonight and see if that helps. See this discussion was a month ago, hope you've sorted your problem out

• Posted

I am on 150ucg for 7 years now (after total thyroid removal). I experienced a lot of anxiety and muscle cramps. What helped me was taking magnesium supplement, stretching & gym to burn all that extra adrenaline.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.