levothyroxine

Posted , 2 users are following.

i am taking levothyroxine 125 micrograms i am gaining weigth could u please tell me wots course it my gp said i should loss weigth

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sidhu

Have you been recently diagnosed? The point is that if you eat sensibly you should start to loose weight and that counts for everything, I drink too much coffee and so my milk and sugar doesn't help my weight!

If you have just been diagnosed then it could be that you are not on the correct dosage as of yet, as they have to build it up until you are on the correct amount!! as it is a gradual increase that usually takes place, as it was done this way with myself at the beginning of my diagnosis, so you will have to have further blood tests ensuring you are at the correct level, this can take sometime until you are on the right dosage!! I generally have my blood taken every three months and this is still after nearly 10 years :roll: as my levels still fluctuate.

I hope you start to feel better soon!

Kind Regards

SES

• Posted

hi

my son is only 18 and is on 50micros of levothyroxine, he seems to be not wanting to do much these days but he never gains weight , in fact he has lost weight since starting the tablets for under active, i can't understand it , i thought he would be full of energy with them

• Posted

[b:05e4ab63d5]

Hi, Weight gain is a common problem with an underactive thyroid and even after finding the right dosage it is often a struggle to lose weight for many people. Its down to your metabolic rate that is run by the thyroid.

Its a case of sensible eating and exercise in order to lose weight, and it does come off slowly over a period of time, but only if you stick to a healthy plan.

With regards to the 18 year old lad being tired and lacking in energy, this again is common as you will see reading others postings that low energy is a general thing. I personally feel better by exercising as i feel it gives me more energy, others dont have the energy to visit the gym.

I was told that it can take up to 12 months on the tablets before you feel normal again and many feel great but others say they have never felt normal again, even after years on tablets. I am approaching the 12 month mark now and i feel ok, maybe not as i used to be, but not far off the mark...It does get better over time or you just get used to it, either way you deal with it and think how lucky you are compared with some people. Good luck all.[/b:05e4ab63d5]

• Posted

Hi there Ian

I have had an Under active thyroid for 11 years and since having been diagnosed with fibromyalgia my overall energy levels and pain are not helping with loosing weight, I put weight on through giving up smoking and then three months later I was pregnant and since my third c-section and last I have not lost the weight, which is very annoying as I am not an excessive eater, and so my doctor has tried me on Orslistat so I am seeing if this is helped as I am getting weighed this week???? I am in pain every day even walking to the local shop is troublesome so I know my metabolism is definitely not working, just so frustrating not being able to be as active as I used to be!!!!! :oops:

Regards

SES

• Posted

I have been underactive and on Thyroxin 125mg for several years.

I am a bit overweight but do not get told off about my weight by my Doctor. He understands that it is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism.

I once suggested to my Doctor that if he were to increase my dose I would not be so tired and might lose some weight. He said it is not safe to increase my dosage of thyroxin as my blood test results are fine, and to increase my dosage would make my heart beat faster which would not be good for me.

• Posted

Hi there toscosc,

Increasing your thyroxine is not good at all as in the long run too much levels can lead to all sorts of problems in the future, as your thyroid levels would go over-active and so like you say you will get palpitations etc. I have my blood taken every three months to check to see if my levels are correct.

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.