Levothyroxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm new to all this I just started levothyroxine 125 and it gives me really bad anxiety so I called my endo and he lowered it to 100 mcg witch I'll start that tomorrow.. I can't work like this cause it's a awful feeling I was wondering if anybody else has felt like this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katherine,

You can bet someone has felt like you, it takes time more often than not to settle down, by time I mean weeks is not unusual, but you may be more fortunate, the main point is you have seen your clinician and they have made an adjustment.

I suggest you stay on the same brand. Read about bioequivalence especially USA pages.

As you must know it’s not like taking other medicine, thyroxine is a replacement for your own body’s failure to produce, it can take some time, I know it’s a pain but stick with your clinician. Best wishes.

• Posted

Many people have very good outcomes on Levothyroxine once they get the dosage right. Don't get frightened by scary generalizations in some of the posts you read here. The anxiety is typical of too high a dose, so reducing it makes sense. Good luck!

• Posted

Wow!!  I can't believe your doctor started you out on such a high dose!  They should be starting you out on only 25mcg and then you work your way up to the correct dose slowly, to help avoid some side effects.  I myself.. had bad anxiety and other horrible side effects starting out on just the 25mcg does, so I can't imagine how you must feel.  Are you seeing your primary doctor?  If so.. I would ask him for a referral to an endocrinologist.  They specialize in thyroid disorders and will be of much more help.  I myself, would never start on that high of a dose.  I'm on 100mcg myself right now and it took me about 6 months to get there.  You need a different doctor..  Just my opinion.

• Posted

Oh.. also wanted to say, that the side effects did go away for me.  It just takes some time for your body to adjust just as Dave has mentioned also.  For myself, after I got to my correct dose..SLOWLY, the side effects went away in about a month or so.  Now.. I feel great taking the levothyroxine.   Just try to be patient, but yes, definitely think that your starting dose is uncalled for.
  • Posted

I didn’t literally read it that you started on 125micro grams,  I took it that you had arrived on 125 over a period of time unknown,,,, this was due to your presentation of words and the fact that 125 starting was odd,  it seems more than odd to me that a GP would start you on 125 or indeed anything more than 25 as another responder said,, Perhaps you could clarify for all readers.If it was myself I would PHONE the surgery and speak with any GP available and explain, Dont let reception fob you off. Take care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.