Levothyroxine and blood pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone experienced a rise in blood pressure with Levothyroxine?

This is my second attempt taking it. Both times after about 1 week my blood pressure climbed about 40 points. 

My endo says it should not do this.

My cardiologist says it’s a coincidence.

I have been taking three readings a day and my software plots my readings. The upward trend coinciding with the Levothyroxine is very apparent. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dave, yes. Many people have posted increases in BP with thyroid meds.

personally, my BP was ridiculously low (90/60)  before the meds, so an increase to 140/85 wasn't too bad.

• Posted

Catherine,

Thanks so much for that. Both my doctors seemed to think it was impossible for Levothyroxine to do this. Do you know if I can ride this out and my BP might go down as I get used to the meds, or is it likely to stay high or go even higher with time. I om OK to stay a day or 2 at 160/100 if I can expect things to get better soon. But if not I will need to discontinue the Levothyroxine. I am on the levothyroxine now for about 1 week. I don't think peek levels come until about a month of use.

• Posted

Same here,  told this has nothing to do with levothyroxine now trying to get a BP med that has no side effects - now on my third onemad 

• Posted

Hi Christine.

I started out with no BP issues until i went onto Levo. It took a long while before i started to think the two were related - i simply thought the rise in BP was due to ageing and lifestyle issues ( im an active guy who has never smoked and eat sensibly) the next phase was then to try and bring my BP under control with meds - an up and down roller coaster of side effects, which i thought were brought on by the Levo but were in fact side effects from the Amlodopine (aching muscles, swollen feet, anxiety and insomnia to mention but a few. Im trying to ween myself off the Amlodopine and get my feet back in the good shape they were before and in the meantime i'm watching my BP on a regular basis to make sure it doesnt get out of control.

If this doesnt work ill be looking for an alternative to amlodopine for sure

Cheers 

Widdzy

• Posted

Hi Widdzy,

My Doc changes my med if I suffer any side effects first med was same as you and my feet were swollen with water retention so he changed to another.

Christine

• Posted

Widest, I was not on any other medications besides the levo and experienced the side effects you speak of.

I'm off the meds now and am doing herbs and accupuncture for the thyroid and the damage to the kidneys caused by the levo. The levo causes massive bone loss, which could be one of the reasons for the kidney problems. The kidney problems could have contributed to the increased BP  in my case. The levo was killing me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.