Levothyroxine and Glipizide for Type 2 Diabetes

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 69 and on 50mcg thyroxine for hypo. Been taking thyroxine since Aug 2013. I would like to know if anyone could help me or has a similar situation as mine. In the beginning it took a while for thyroxine to bring my TSH down. it was 4.87 and finally on my test 6 months ago went down to 1.9. I have appt with GP next month on 11th. I cannot get my blood sugar down at all. in Feb A1C was 6.1.  Then I started eating bad cause I was famished all the time and gained 12 lbs. Next A1C was 7.9. Yikes! I instantly started dieting, eating good, and no sugar goodies. I have lost 7 lbs now and still having trouble with my testing in the morning. It goes from 120's to 150's. Up and down. Before taking levothyroxine I never had problems with dieting and losing weight and getting my A1C down. I could do it within 3 months. My question: Has anyone with type 2 diabetes on medication have the thyroxine interfere with the effectiveness of your diabetic meds. I feel as if my glipizide is not working anymore and the thyroxine has been the problem. Anyone who can share if they ever experienced this problem. would like to know before I go to GP. Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Valrae,I don't know answer to your question,only thing I would ask is do you take diabetic meds at same time as thyroxin? If so don't thyroxin should be taken on its own and other meds at least an hour later.
    • Posted

I do have to take glipizide 30 min before breakfast and another glipizide 30 minutes before dinner. I've been taking the morning glipizide 30 minutes after thyroxine. The pharmacist recommended this. All the time frames of these meds are really putting me in a spot where I can't hardly get out of my house in the morning for anything early. That's why I'm going to talk to my GP about changing my thyroxine to nightime. Thanks for that info.  
  • Posted

Hi valrae a lot of people who are hypo DO gain weight including two of my friends. I am also hypo but autoimmune with Graves and am still thin. Think it has a lot to do with that. This is a great site but if you want real help I.e. Ask questions about thyroid problems I can recommend Thyroid U.K - Health unlocked. They have people on their who know everything about thyroid problems and you can also get help with diabetes.
  • Posted

Hi I have both type 2 diabetes and under active thyriod.  Having just read your post I thought I would reply.  You say you are taking glipizide have you read the side effect leaflet for this drug.  I have a few diabetic friends and they all say that being on the above medication causes weight gain.  I take a  500mcg of metformin slow release and both fast and slow acting insulin, because I'm unable to tolerate a higher dose of metformin.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

HI Saby. I'm really glad you replied. a few years back I tried Metformin and my stomach couldn't tolerate it. So thats when I was given Glipizide. The Metformin really bloated my stomach and bowel problems. Ya know, after you said you were on extended release metformin I wonder if that would be more easy on my stomach then the regular pills. I'm really glad you gave me something to discuss with my doctor. My GP has been trying to put me on some of these new type 2 drugs like Farziga and Januvia and I won't take them. I'm not going to be somebodies lab rat. These drugs have horrible scary issues. Thank you so much for your response.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm glad that I could be of some help.  Don't get me wrong the slow release still has the same side effects but you may be able to tolerate a lower dose.  If tablets really aren't your thing you can ask for insulin even if it is only the base which you give yourself before bed.  Hope you get to where you want to be.
  • Edited

Im on levothyroxine and metformin the metformin put me in hospital caused alot of gas made my heart race soon as I stopped it it was gone. now on glipizide much better for my stomach but i read that levothyroxine can alter diabetic meds so if both required to take in morning how much time do you need to separate this reaction

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.