Levothyroxine and hairloss

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

Was wondering if anyone could help, I'm a 24 year old male, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism (Underactive) at birth, im on 150mgs of levothyroxine and have been for the past 3 months (after it being decreased from 175mgs after bloods.) I'm experiencing hairloss, spoken to my GP and they can't seem to give me a definate answer, will it grow back? Will I loose more? 

Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

t it will grow back ifit due to hypothyroidism.
  • Posted

Hello Jakuk:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

I lost hair in my early days but then grew back.  Some of it like the eyebrows came back thinner.

See if you have good Iron  and ferrn levels, it helps Levo work bette.  Have them checked. Also see a dermatologist who can see if you have follicle damage  It can take time to grow back and that can be anywhere between 6 months to 1 year.

Make sure all your vitamins, like B12, Vit D, Vit C, and B1 are all okay.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

• Posted

Shelly Can u please explain what these thyroid antibody tests are done for nd their findings? Wjhat is the treatment/ Why do people with thyroid disoder always feel hungry and anxious?
    • Posted

Hello Jane:

Thyroid testli TSH are done as a mesuremnt of the Thyroid Simulating Hormone.  Should be 0.45 to 4.50.  Low end is Hyper and High end is HYPO under active. 

TPOA & TGab are certain antibodies tests for Hashimoto's disease autoimmune cases.

T4 is thyroxine & T3 is liothyronine  both needed hormones.  The thyroid produces 4 hormones in total.  These 2 are the main ones. We need both to be normal levels.

EBV is Epstein Barr virus also called Mono  It attacks the thyroid. Many people had it and it lays dormant until it activates years later.  They can draw a titer for it.

B12 is a vitamin B1 is folic acid  both are needed to be at proper levels.

Vit D, helps prevent muscles from cramps and loss and keeps bones in good shape.  We can be low in all above when Hypo.

Ferritin and iron are needed to make Levo work and prevent tiredness or anemia. Common to be low in Hypo people.

There are more tests and these are common ones known to be helpful in people with Hypothyroidism. 

I hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.